Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Mono 5 Might Come For Fedora 30 While Other Fedora 31 Features Discussed

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Mono 5 Might Come For Fedora 30 While Other Fedora 31 Features Discussed

    Phoronix: Mono 5 Might Come For Fedora 30 While Other Fedora 31 Features Discussed

    Earlier this month was the feature proposal for Fedora 31 to finally upgrade to Mono 5, which has been out for nearly two years for this open-source .NET environment. This feature request has been approved for Fedora 31 while it's also been decided to allow it into Fedora 30 if it can land within the next week...

    http://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?pag...ono-5-Possible

  • #2
    i cant see why they cant allow Mono5 in F30 now when they let a Sloppy GCC9 in when i dont think it even had a Feature Ticket for F30 to begin with

    Comment


    • #3
      Mono is pretty boring, it is the old Windows-first .NET Framework that is ported by a third party to Linux.
      But .NET Core is much more interesting, it is cross-platform with official first-class support for Linux.

      .NET Core have a interesting future with Microsoft scheduled to open source the remaining parts of WPF and XAML / Win UI.
      Hopefully Avalonia matures. But I would really like to see GObject Introspection (GI) get ported to .NET Core so you can reach GTK, GDK, etc from within .NET Core.

      Hopefully also Mono ditches their own XAML implementation in favor of the official now-open-source System.XAML code so that Mono and .NET Framework can share more code.

      Comment


      • #4
        Originally posted by uid313 View Post
        Mono is pretty boring, it is the old Windows-first .NET Framework that is ported by a third party to Linux.
        But .NET Core is much more interesting, it is cross-platform with official first-class support for Linux.

        .NET Core have a interesting future with Microsoft scheduled to open source the remaining parts of WPF and XAML / Win UI.
        Hopefully Avalonia matures. But I would really like to see GObject Introspection (GI) get ported to .NET Core so you can reach GTK, GDK, etc from within .NET Core.

        Hopefully also Mono ditches their own XAML implementation in favor of the official now-open-source System.XAML code so that Mono and .NET Framework can share more code.
        The problem is you can't run 99% of real applications with .NET Core, since most of them rely upon WinForms or lots of Windows-specific stuff, and Core is just a subset of the real deal.
        Plus, with Mono, I can run many of my C# applications in binary form, while for .NET Core you have to recompile.
        Last edited by tildearrow; 03-26-2019, 12:11 PM.

        Comment


        • #5
          Originally posted by tildearrow View Post

          The problem is you can't run 99% of real applications with .NET Core, since most of them rely upon WinForms or lots of Windows-specific stuff, and Core is just a subset of the real deal.
          Plus, with Mono, I can run many of my C# applications in binary form, while for .NET Core you have to recompile.
          Yes, it is true that you can't run 99% of real applications, but you can run web applications.
          Yes, it is true that .NET Core is a subset, but its a pretty big subset that has been expanding from .NET Core 1.0 to 2.1, and shares coverage with .NET Framework over the .NET Standard. So it is not a small subset, its a pretty big coverage.
          Mono can't run 99% of real applications either, since Mono only implements Windows Forms but does not implement Windows Presentation Foundation (WPF) or WinUI.

          Comment


          • #6
            Originally posted by uid313 View Post
            Yes, it is true that you can't run 99% of real applications, but you can run web applications.
            What about running them in a web browser

            Comment


            • #7
              Originally posted by starshipeleven View Post
              What about running them in a web browser
              .NET Framework (the old .NET for Windows) have Windows-only technology for making graphical applications such as Windows Forms, Windows Presentation Foundation (WPF) and WinUI (Windows 10 apps).
              Mono is a third-party .NET Framework implementation for Linux with support for Windows Forms, but not for WPF or WinUI.
              .NET Core (the new modern .NET Framework) is cross-platform and have full support for ASP.NET web applications but does not contain Windows-only technology such as Windows Forms, WPF and WinUI.

              Comment


              • #8
                Originally posted by uid313 View Post

                .NET Framework (the old .NET for Windows) have Windows-only technology for making graphical applications such as Windows Forms, Windows Presentation Foundation (WPF) and WinUI (Windows 10 apps).
                Mono is a third-party .NET Framework implementation for Linux with support for Windows Forms, but not for WPF or WinUI.
                .NET Core (the new modern .NET Framework) is cross-platform and have full support for ASP.NET web applications but does not contain Windows-only technology such as Windows Forms, WPF and WinUI.
                Does not answer the question. Why not making webapps that run in a browser instead of requiring .net stuff.

                Comment


                • #9
                  Originally posted by starshipeleven View Post

                  Does not answer the question. Why not making webapps that run in a browser instead of requiring .net stuff.
                  Well it depends what you want to do and what experience you want to make.
                  For connected things or with things stored in the cloud then web apps may be preferred.
                  For a native experience then a desktop application might be preferred.

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Originally posted by starshipeleven View Post

                    Does not answer the question. Why not making webapps that run in a browser instead of requiring .net stuff.
                    .net web apps aren't necessarily client applications. Web.API is heavily used to create restful web services, for example.

                    Comment

                    Working...
                    X