Solus 4 Officially Released With Updated Budgie Desktop, Linux 4.20 Kernel

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Solus 4 Officially Released With Updated Budgie Desktop, Linux 4.20 Kernel

Phoronix: Solus 4 Officially Released With Updated Budgie Desktop, Linux 4.20 Kernel

Solus 4 has officially set sail as the latest version of this popular desktop Linux distribution that is known for its "Budgie" desktop environment, borrowing some performance optimizations from the likes of Clear Linux, and various usability enhancements and more to enhance its desktop experience...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Wow, that looks really nice and polished!

Comment

Did the QT rewrite for budgie complete ?

Comment

Originally posted by sarfarazahmad View Post
        Did the QT rewrite for budgie complete ?
        No that idea got scrapped and they plan to upgrade it to GTK 4.

Comment

The budgie desktop website (https://budgie-desktop.org/) seems to have been down for a while but it's still linked to. Does anyone have any info on that?

Comment

Originally posted by msotirov
            Looking tight. It's a shame they didn't rewrite it in Qt. It could use a global menu and system tray at the top, too.
            I'm pretty sure you can add both those things, it's a pretty flexible desktop.

Comment

I've been distro and desktop hopping lately. Currently on Manjaro XFCE with all the GTK3 XFCE packages...not liking it at all...guess it's time to test the Budgie and Plasma versions of Solus...hopefully I'll have some free time to actually get to that this week. Pretty busy at work so we'll see.

Note: Nothing is actually bad with Manjaro XFCE. It's a fine setup. It's just that coming back to XFCE after using Plasma for a few years feels like I'm going back in time and not in a good way.

Note 2: It's just weird realizing that I don't like XFCE anymore. It was my primary desktop from 2004 to 2012 and was always installed as my backup desktop until February this year (when systemd 240 broke my Antergos desktop and I started the desktop and distro hopping routine I'm currently in).

Comment

Budgie is nice, but, at the moment I prefer KDE Plasma for so many reasons.
                I thought that they would provide a KDE Plasma version too, but they didn't so, I'm not interested.

Comment

Originally posted by Danny3 View Post
                  Budgie is nice, but, at the moment I prefer KDE Plasma for so many reasons.
                  I thought that they would provide a KDE Plasma version too, but they didn't so, I'm not interested.
                  They did. Scroll down more.

Comment

Originally posted by skeevy420 View Post
                    oh, yes
                    I clicked on the "Download" menu link immediately after arriving there and I saw no KDE version to download.
                    But now I see that they released at leas a new version of KDE testing ISO, which means that they are still on track to release one day also the KDE Plasma version and that makes me happy.
                    So, congratulations and many thanks to Solus developers!

Comment

Working...
                    X