Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Knoppix 8.5 Live Linux Distro Released, Based On Linux 4.20, Adds Adriane Audio Desktop

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Knoppix 8.5 Live Linux Distro Released, Based On Linux 4.20, Adds Adriane Audio Desktop

Phoronix: Knoppix 8.5 Live Linux Distro Released, Based On Linux 4.20, Adds Adriane Audio Desktop

Knoppix, one of the first "live" Linux distributions that dates back to the year 2000 and still continues to see occasional updates, is out today with Knoppix version 8.5 in celebration of the latest Chemnitzer Linux Days event...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Originally posted by phoronix View Post
    Knoppix, one of the first "live" Linux distributions that dates back to the year 2000 and still continues to see occasional updates, is out today with Knoppix version 8.5 in celebration of the latest Chemnitzer Linux Days event...
    "Chemnitzer" invokes an image in my mind of a genetically deformed, dog-sized, creature that roams the Chernobyl wasteland making throaty, gargling noises and squinting its non-symetrical eyes whenever it's exposed to sunlight.

Comment

You pay people to come up with these comments when the going gets slow, Larabel?
      Even if you pay nothing, in the end you're paying way too much.

Comment

Great Distro!!
        I still remember in the 2000s, Knoppix,
        It was the first in almost all relevant new 'WoW' features, at the time..
        Great Respect for it!!

Was ahead of time, bringing, lice cds, and special 3d effects..
        I used it to learn, about new things..
        Its great to see a new Release

I still remember some Column Posts on Magazines by its Creator,
        I have not dozens but Hundreds of Magazines of the time,
        I maintain them carefully,
        Because its Culture, of something so beloved!!

For Sure, I will check it!

Originally posted by cybertraveler View Post
        "Chemnitzer" invokes an image in my mind...
        I don't quite understand the idea of your Comment, really..

But what I know,
        Is that a minimal capable person, can search, for Chemnitz City..
        And a Linux mind focused person knows about Chemnitzer_Linux_Days
        Last edited by tuxd3v; 18 March 2019, 07:16 AM. Reason: Typos

Comment

I did not try this release yet, but I attended the CLT talk about KI in Knoppix. For speed reasons he still uses similar hw detection routines in shell scripts like 10+ years ago and even eliminated systemd (with help of Devuan) now. I certainly know all the main scripts since 16+ years already (KANOTIX was a KNOPPIX rebuild with fixes in the beginning). They are fast but the system is certainly not made to be used as hd install. As live distribution Knoppix is certainly very interesting if you want a very huge selection of packages preinstalled with fast startup time. Basically you can make small changes to a "normal" hd install of any distribution and use the hd/ssd in an usb case and carry it with you - preferred if you don't use new nvidia hardware. Knoppix is a very nice showcase to beginners to see what is possible or as emergency system.

Comment

It seems the current release is only available as companion media to a German Linux magazine. Does anybody know when they plan to make it generally available?

Comment

Wow. I used to carry KNOPPIX with me everywhere to use as a rescue/test system. I did that until it became so far out of date and unsupported that I couldn't use it. I didn't even know the project was still alive.

These days I use the Arch Linux installer image because it boots clean and has the latest versions of everything.

Comment

Originally posted by linner View Post
                Wow. I used to carry KNOPPIX with me everywhere to use as a rescue/test system. I did that until it became so far out of date and unsupported that I couldn't use it. I didn't even know the project was still alive.
                I also do that, and I missed it for some hiatus time..

Comment

Originally posted by Kano View Post
                  I did not try this release yet, but I attended the CLT talk about KI in Knoppix. For speed reasons he still uses similar hw detection routines in shell scripts like 10+ years ago and even eliminated systemd (with help of Devuan) now.
                  Awesome

Comment

[QUOTE=Kano;...he...eliminated systemd (with help of Devuan) now...[/QUOTE]

One more reason to use Knoppix.
                    Knoppix is still one of the very best general-purpose, all-around great system tools one can have in one's briefcase--or on a key-chain.

Comment

Working...
                    X