Fedora 31 Aims To Finally Offer Mono 5 For Open-Source .NET Support

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Fedora 31 Aims To Finally Offer Mono 5 For Open-Source .NET Support

Phoronix: Fedora 31 Aims To Finally Offer Mono 5 For Open-Source .NET Support

While Fedora is generally known to ship the very latest upstream software with each release, Fedora has continued shipping Mono 4.8 even though Mono 5.0 shipped in May 2017. With the Fedora 31 release due out later in the year, they are finally working on switching to Mono 5...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

It would have been smarter to delete Mono completely. I really don't see the point of having what is effectively a platform that is stagnate and mostly unused as part of the distro.

Comment

Booting into IBM SystemD/OS 10 now featuring MONO 5, PowerShell, New Packaging Store and full of love

Comment

Too little too late. Efforts like this and Swift on Linux without the accompanying GUI and platform libraries are always too little. Open source the whole SDK/toolkit or GTFO.

Comment

Originally posted by wizard69 View Post
          It would have been smarter to delete Mono completely. I really don't see the point of having what is effectively a platform that is stagnate and mostly unused as part of the distro.
          I could probably make the same argument about various language runtimes required for programs you consider indispensible but I have no interest in.

Comment

Originally posted by Candy View Post
            Booting into IBM SystemD/OS 10 now featuring MONO 5, PowerShell, New Packaging Store and full of love
            It's like this is obviously nonsensical trolling but you really just don't care. You just dish it out anyway. I must say I'm very impressed.

Comment

Honest question: without its integration with various Windows stuff, what does .Net bring to other platforms?

Comment

i wonder which apps are using mono in my linux system? i see it is even not installed on my system

Comment

Originally posted by bug77 View Post
                  Honest question: without its integration with various Windows stuff, what does .Net bring to other platforms?
                  I've seen that AirVPN's graphical client (eddie-ui) runs the windows exe on Mono when on Linux, and it looks exactly the same as on Windows. So I'd say it could be a thing for crossplatform applications. https://github.com/AirVPN/Eddie

Then again, on OpenSUSE the exit button or clicking the X in KDE's bar does not work (I have to go and terminate Mono if I want to close that application), but everything else works.

I'm actually using Qomui, which is an unofficial but Linux native Python/Qt client for AirVPN and other services.

Still, Eddie in its current state would still work better than 99% of other VPNs where on Linux you have no client at all and can only manually run OpenVPN with config files, and running a VPN over a SSL or SSH tunnel is a PITA if you didn't set up your networking manually (which I guess isn't a thing in desktop/laptops).

Comment

Originally posted by smartalgorithm View Post
                    i wonder which apps are using mono in my linux system? i see it is even not installed on my system
                    All games based on Unity use Mono. If you ask about what is in the distributions, we have for example:
                    - Banshee (music player)
                    - bareFTP (FTP client)
                    - Bless (hex editor)
                    - CDCollect (CD/DVD catalog application)
                    - Cowbell (tag editor for music files)
                    - Gbrainy (brain teaser game and trainer)
                    - MonoDevelop (IDE)
                    - KeePass (password manager)
                    - Incollector (Information collector/note-taking application)
                    - Pinta (graphics editor)
                    - Repetierhost (3D printer control software)
                    - Tomboy (note-taking application)

Anyway, Mono is important for:
                    - Unity-based games
                    - UE-based games (usually you will be using C ++ here, but you can also use C#, and quite a lot of developers actually do that)
                    - Xamarin.Forms apps (mainly for the mobile market, but there is also a GTK backend)
                    - Eto.Forms apps
                    - ASP.NET apps (although now we have .net Core for that)

Comment

Working...
                    X