Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Ubuntu Studio Runs Into Troubles With None Of Their Developers Having Upload Rights

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by tuke81 View Post
    Linux and audio... Haven't really cared for messing with it for a long time, but it seems that Oss v4 has been updated first time since 2017. It was so much better with quality and latency than alsa moons ago, maybe I try that one day for the old time sake.
    Yep. Linux and audio indeed. I'm using OSS4 again with Xubuntu 18.04. Had to scour for patches for the sources on the OSS forum to finally get it working again a couple of weeks ago, and now they released a new version. Ubuntu Studio was my first Linux distro back in the 8.04 days and finally dropped it after 16.04. ALSA was a disaster with my hardware back in version 8.04 and to this day, it has never worked out of the box for me. Decided to switch to OSS4 and the audio quality was just amazing. Then again 4Front Technologies also made the proprietary Linux driver for my sound cards. Really hoped since OSS4 went free it would have been at least developed further into the ASIO of Linux, but the sour grapes run long and hard in the Linux community and everything was just about pushing ALSA and Pulseaudio. Don't get me wrong, ALSA+Pulseaudio is fine for the average user, but now that there is even a Linux version of Reaper, it would have been nice to have an ASIO quality driver to go with it for the enthusiasts.

Comment

Originally posted by andyprough View Post

IMPOSSIBLE!!! I mean - how would you EVER get all those default multimedia software packages to load??? I mean, other than apt-get, or the Software Center, or snap, or appimage, or compiling from source, or ...
      I used ubuntu studio for years. I now run manjaro for all my audio, video and graphic creation stuff. Honestly I feel manjaro is a lot better. I am just a hobbyist with all this stuff but no honestly manjaro right now is wiping the floor with ubuntu studio at least for me. I went with the xfce edition. Right now the only thing that bothers me is the notification area icons for steam and psensor look all wonky so I just pulled that, problem solved. Oh and guess what kdenlive doesn't crash like it use to lol.

Just ask me what kind of software you use in ubuntu studio and I will look in manjaro for you, I am pretty sure it has almost everything that ubuntu studio has maybe even more, no wait definitely more.
      Last edited by creative; 09 March 2019, 07:16 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by tuke81 View Post
        Linux and audio... Haven't really cared for messing with it for a long time, but it seems that Oss v4 has been updated first time since 2017. It was so much better with quality and latency than alsa moons ago, maybe I try that one day for the old time sake.
        Running lmms, mixbus, and hydrogen just fine on manjaro. Actually Mixbus is pretty good. Ardour is great but mixbus is on another level. I just use qjackcontrol with pulseaudio-jack bridging it with pavucontrol. Also using rtkit with the jack server. So far it has been awesome. There is very little manjaro does not have. I saw ubuntu studio struggling and having issues with its dev team so I ditched it. I could not be happier.

Manjaro for audio, video and graphics is incredibly comprehensive as far as software goes not to mention a lot more up to date lol, you just have to be willing to put in the work which is not that bad. I actually had far more headaches with ubuntu studio than I have had with manjaro and manjaro is rolling release.

Like I said you just have to be willing to install what you need and configure it, its not an out of the box experience like ubuntu studio but is far superior, my current experience.

As far as I have seen I am not having any latency issues or any xruns. Which surprises me cause I am not even running an rt or low latency kernel.
        Last edited by creative; 09 March 2019, 07:17 AM.

Comment

debianxfce

"The motherboard audio hardware is enough for audio production." <-Correction, enough for your audio production.

I hope you are not talking about the kind of audio production that I do with a main mixer, a sub-mixer and rack mount audio gear lol.
          Analog and digital hardware synths effect pedals, mics, guitars. I have been at this for a long long time.

If you want a really diverse sound palette you are going to need a lot more than what you can process inside your machine. Sure you can do amazing stuff with software but it can only take you so far.

I use every music tool I can find at my disposal including an old digital 8 track cause it sounds unique, a field recorder and even a smartphone for tinkering.
          Last edited by creative; 09 March 2019, 07:20 AM.

Comment

Ok, whatever fulfills you. I can't really dis on someones creativity. I don't feel as productive with only software, I have gone that route before. There is a max to how much equipment I want to have and right now I feel I have all I need. I usually store gear away when I am not using it, except for the rack mounted stuff with mixers and my main chain. Don't want to have to re-rig stuff. It is a small mad scientists station for sound exploration. I just keep everything ready so I can patch in when I feel the urge.
            Last edited by creative; 09 March 2019, 09:57 AM.

Comment

Working...
            X