Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ubuntu 14.04.6 LTS Released

Phoronix: Ubuntu 14.04.6 LTS Released

Following the recent emergency release of Ubuntu 16.04.6 LTS to get out updated install media that addresses the recent APT security vulnerability and in the process other bug fixes too, Ubuntu 14.04.6 has now been released as a similar update...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Grandmas and enterprise users have something to celebrate.

Comment

Originally posted by cl333r View Post
      Code:
      $ lsb_release -d
      Description: Ubuntu 14.04.6 LTS
      Works like a charm.

Comment

I'm neither and I'm still on 14.04. It does everything I need and I always had something more pressing to do than block out a whole day to anticipate the papercut breakages that always seem to occur with a *buntu upgrade.

Comment

I have a couple of workhorse VMs still running 14.04. Why bother spending several hours migrating them or risking the breakage that typically comes with Ubuntu upgrades? If I were the spend the time it'd be to migrate them away from Ubuntu entirely.

Comment

Ubuntu Desktop has 5 year support. 14.04 = April 2014. +5 years = April 2019. So in a couple of months Canonical will probably stop providing security updates.

Comment

Originally posted by cybertraveler View Post
              Ubuntu Desktop has 5 year support. 14.04 = April 2014. +5 years = April 2019. So in a couple of months Canonical will probably stop providing security updates.
              *nod* I'm preparing to have myself upgraded to 18.04 by then.

At the moment, I'm migrating my old shellscript-based "rebuild my system image and roaming profile from a git repository" process to something Ansible-based so I can easily use its dry-run functionality as a means of diffing what the deployment script will do against what the system I'm currently using for day-to-day work.
              Last edited by ssokolow; 08 March 2019, 12:49 PM.

Comment

Good motivation for me to move one of the 14.04 machines from DigitalOcean to my own servers. That should save me a bit of money each month.

Comment

Ubuntu Desktop has 5 year support.
                  Yeah, that's why it will always be in Windows' shadow, even if it fixes all other problems compared to it.

This is actually stupid easy to prove too. Just look how many people used Windows XP for more than 10 years (14 in fact) and how many still use Windows 7 today. You can't deny facts.

Comment

Originally posted by Weasel View Post
                    Yeah, that's why it will always be in Windows' shadow, even if it fixes all other problems compared to it.

This is actually stupid easy to prove too. Just look how many people used Windows XP for more than 10 years (14 in fact) and how many still use Windows 7 today. You can't deny facts.
                    That was a nice aspect of Windows XP & 7, however XP is now out of support and 7 is going out of support very soon (early 2020 IIRC). What does that leave? Windows 10, which is pretty much an Arch-style rolling release OS.

So even though Ubuntu Desktop is less of a long-term stable platform than how XP & 7 were, Ubuntu Desktop is better than the current reality. IE Ubuntu Desktop gives 5 years of support to a stable platform, whereas Windows 10 is an unstable platform, in a constant state of flux.

Comment

Working...
                    X