Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Mageia 7.0 Beta 2 Released - Powered By Linux 4.20, Mesa 19.0-rc

Phoronix: Mageia 7.0 Beta 2 Released - Powered By Linux 4.20, Mesa 19.0-rc

Available this weekend for testing is the second beta release of the long-awaited Mageia 7 Linux distribution...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

So, what's special about Mageia?

Comment

Originally posted by orschiro View Post
      100% community build (no company) by people who have fun building and contributing its own distro (by users, for users), Mageia Welcome center and Control Center (for easy configuring/setup the distro/settings), many desktop environments available for your choice (Plasma, GNOME, Xfce, LXQt, LXDE, Cinnamon, MATE, ... ), RPM/DNF included, report bugs upstream, still support 32-bit hardware (works on older pc/laptop), splitted repositorys for free/nonfree/tainted pakages (if you want 100% free software distro - you can have it, if not - you can have it too), Live and installmedia (Live media also support persistent usb-stick since mga7), some own Community created tools (e.g. ISOdumper, meteo-qt),
      Last edited by Pranos; 24 February 2019, 10:59 AM.

Comment

I'd say, for me at least, they've done the best job carrying the "Mandriva torch". Mandriva was a distro I loved back in the Powerpack days. Was probably the easiest to use and was worth spending the money on in my opinion. Mageia has people who worked at Mandriva on it's "governing body" so we get a quality release in the spirit of what Mandriva used to be. OpenMandriva LX is good as well but I've used Mageia since it's debut and it's always been amazing. Very well done and you can tell they care very much about what they do. In fact I point a lot of Linux newbies toward it. I have a few other distros I love but Mageia is quite amazing. I've never had stability issues with it or any other problems and they do a good job maintaining their releases. But as stated before, it is community controlled, they listen to feedback a lot better than a lot of other distro maintainers do. So I'm a proud user of it and will always "wave a Mageia flag" because for me, it's what Mandriva was in it's hay day. It was my favorite distro and at this point Mageia just keeps it going with Mandriva no longer being around (sad too they went out of business). Anyway, have a good one all.

Comment

French distro so any french person will feel attracted by it.

But apart from that, it's still a well-polished independent distro with sane release schedule using LTS kernels, and its maintainers are capable of shipping KDE properly without causing breakage every other day (which apparently isn't an easy feat since only a few distros manage to do a good job here).

It's definitely worth trying, for the very least.

Comment

Ah yes another big thing I almost forgot.

Mageia has a single GUI application to deal with a lot of the system configuration, the Mageia Control Center, similar to what OpenSUSE does with Yast. You will be interacting with this instead of going around the place to edit text files in the system.

That makes it a more user-friendly distro than most.

Comment

Working...
            X