Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• OpenSUSE Leap 15.1 Reaches Beta Milestone

Phoronix: OpenSUSE Leap 15.1 Reaches Beta Milestone

This week openSUSE Leap 15.1 reached the beta stage for this Linux distribution derived from the same sources as SUSE Linux Enterprise 15 SP1...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

I'm finding Mate is working miles better on Tumbleweed. Vastly more responsive. Probably going to be ditching KDE altogether.

Comment

Originally posted by andyprough View Post
      I'm finding Mate is working miles better on Tumbleweed. Vastly more responsive. Probably going to be ditching KDE altogether.
      You have filed bug reports for this, of course ...

Actually, I can not confirm this issue at all, neither on TW nor on Leap 15.0, although Firefox becomes somewhat sluggish on a HDD system with heavy background I/O.

Comment

Originally posted by StefanBruens View Post
        You have filed bug reports for this, of course ...

Actually, I can not confirm this issue at all, neither on TW nor on Leap 15.0, although Firefox becomes somewhat sluggish on a HDD system with heavy background I/O.
        Not anything KDE is doing wrong, it's just built that way. Much bigger set of packages. Mate is light and nimble. And I've moved from Firefox to Brave browser recently for the noticeably increased speed. It will install on openSUSE by downloading the rpm and using rpm -i.

Comment

Vastly more responsive.
          No, not at all! I love the performance with KDE and openSUSE.

Comment

Not anything KDE is doing wrong, it's just built that way. Much bigger set of packages.
            Make sure to disable the disk indexing service, in KDE. I forget what the latest incarnation is called, but I always have to do that.

Comment

coder It's called baloo now, and you do need to turn it off or set it to run late at night or your performance will suffer.

Comment

coder It's called baloo now, and you do need to turn it off or set it to run late at night or your performance will suffer.
                Yeah, that's right. Baloo, beagle, nepomuk... always the first thing after a fresh install is to find what the heck it's called. Then, how to disable it, completely.

Comment

File indexer is quite fast and actually useful if you turn off content indexing in the settings.

Comment

Only difference I notice is the time the desktop is loading after login.

Comment

Working...
                    X