Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ubuntu 18.04.2 LTS Now Available With The New HWE Stack

Phoronix: Ubuntu 18.04.2 LTS Now Available With The New HWE Stack

Following a small delay, Ubuntu 18.04.2 LTS is now available as the latest point release to the Bionic Beaver for a Valentine's Day debut...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Good news, thanks.

Is there already an official way to install the Hardware-Enablemenent-Stack (i.e new kernel with new graphics drivers) on existing Ubuntu 18.04.0 or 18.04.1 LTS installations running with the older kernel?

With Ubuntu 16.04.0 and 16.04.1 it was easy: https://wiki.ubuntu.com/Kernel/LTSEnablementStack

Comment

Originally posted by Hadrian View Post
      Good news, thanks.

Is there already an official way to install the Hardware-Enablemenent-Stack (i.e new kernel with new graphics drivers) on existing Ubuntu 18.04.0 or 18.04.1 LTS installations running with the older kernel?

With Ubuntu 16.04.0 and 16.04.1 it was easy: https://wiki.ubuntu.com/Kernel/LTSEnablementStack
      sudo apt install linux-generic-hwe-18.04 xserver-xorg-hwe-18.04
      and reboot :-)

Comment

Steam Play / Proton / DXVK should run much better out of the box on Ubuntu 18.04 with this update. Padoka PPA no longer essential for a good experience on most systems.

Comment

Originally posted by Compartmentalisation View Post

thanks.
          it wants to remove nvidia drivers though. if I install them back right away, should it work? or anyway to tell apt not to remove nvidia and related packages? thanks

Comment

Originally posted by peterl View Post

thanks.
            it wants to remove nvidia drivers though. if I install them back right away, should it work? or anyway to tell apt not to remove nvidia and related packages? thanks
            If you use nvidia drivers non free don't need this, but probaly you need to remove them first install hwe reboot and install again nvidia non free

Comment

Does it have AMD FreeSync?

Comment

Originally posted by andre30correia View Post

If you use nvidia drivers non free don't need this, but probaly you need to remove them first install hwe reboot and install again nvidia non free
                nvidia drivers package was updated to 18.04.2 version, and now it is not marked for removal. thank you.

Comment

Originally posted by FastCode View Post
                  Does it have AMD FreeSync?
                  No, not even any of the rolling distros has that yet. Personally I can't even get it to work when building from git even though it should.

Ubuntu 19.04 will hopefully have Freesync support.

Comment

Originally posted by Compartmentalisation View Post
                    Now that was easy and it works very well. Thanks a lot!

P.S. When I run glmark2 on the original Ubuntu 18.04 (kernel 4.15) and on the new Ubuntu HWE (kernel 4.18), my AMD RX 570 graphics card runs ~30% faster with HWE.
                    Last edited by Hadrian; 19 February 2019, 03:40 AM.

Comment

Working...
                    X