Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Ubuntu Developers Seem To Be Really Pursuing ZFS Root Partition Support On The Desktop

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• mskarbek
    replied
    Originally posted by skeevy420 View Post
    Hopefully that means they're going to do things like getting Grub to support all the 0.8 ZFS features, create or use a decent backup solution with an easy-mode GUI like Suse does with BTRFS, better selinux integration, and things along those lines.

It would also be interesting if they release kernels/maintain patches that revert the recent GPL export changes.
    There is no need to rework Grub (and that would mean massive rewrite of parts of the ZFS code base into Grub if you would like to boot from encrypted root dataset for example forced by CDDL) because you don't need Grub at all, UEFI solved that issue.
    What better integration with SELinux you have in mind?

Leave a comment:

• shmerl
    replied
    I'm more interested in bcachefs becoming competitive.

Leave a comment:

• hybridchemistry
    replied
    I'd like to think I'm somewhat educated about ZFS, but I'm still kind of puzzled as to why folks want to use it as a root file system, particularly with a single drive (as I assume most Desktop installs would use). Do the ZFS permissions, quotas, etc become all that useful to Desktop installs?

Leave a comment:

• skeevy420
    replied
    Hopefully that means they're going to do things like getting Grub to support all the 0.8 ZFS features, create or use a decent backup solution with an easy-mode GUI like Suse does with BTRFS, better selinux integration, and things along those lines.

It would also be interesting if they release kernels/maintain patches that revert the recent GPL export changes.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X