Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Ubuntu Developers Seem To Be Really Pursuing ZFS Root Partition Support On The Desktop

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Speaking of clustered filesystems, Lustre is one of the biggest users of ZFS on Linux.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RoyrIocAByU

Lustre Admins & Developers Workshop 2017October 4-5, 2017 ©Intel ©CEA/DAM/CADAM

In this video from the DDN User Group at ISC 2018, Steve Simms from Indiana University presents: Lustre / ZFS at Indiana University.Learn more: https://www.s...

Comment

All this whining about Waah MUH GPL

ZoL does not violate GPL. You can do whatever you want to make it work, as long as the stuff you do to make it work is released under GPL.

You don't get sued for putting 2 non-officially-compatible things together.

Besides, with lawsuits, you sue for damages. What do you all think the "damage" is by allowing ZoL?

Most of us end users don't give 2 F's about the GPL itself. You who do are by far the minority. And the rest of us do not care what you think. At all. Go ahead and sue Canonical. I'd love to laugh at you having to pay for their lawyers.

Comment

Originally posted by starshipeleven View Post
        Dunno, I can't remember of anything developed in BSD that has been finished in this decade. EDIT: ah yes I remembered something, LibreSSL.
        OpenBSD: OpenIKED, iscsid, rc.d/rc.subr, tftpf, npppd, ldomd, sndiod, cu, identd, slowcgi, signify, htpasswd, LibreSSL, rcctl, file, doas, radiusd, eigrpd, rebound, vmm, switchd, syspatch, xenodm, ocspcheck, slaacd, rad..

FreeBSD: Capsicum, Bhyve, nginx

Random selection of released software with a BSD license, and not GPL.
        Arcan display server (mostly BSD licensed). BSD licensed: Nvidia's PhysX SDK, Chromium, Theora, Tor, Vi, Bionic, CMake, Django, i3, Klibc, Mumble, OpenCV, OpenMPT, OpenRC, Ruby, Vorbis, VP9, WebRTC, Zend (some of it might exceed 'this decade' condition, did not bother checking after a while)

​​​​Their "systemd-like" init? Not finished yet, many years down the line, maybe not even a major project
        err.. what? AFAIK none, except TrueOS is dissatisfied with traditional init. BSD init does not have problem returning service status like Linux's SysV init has, parallelization is sort of unimportant, when it does not really work often too well on systemd either.. Service control (restart etc) can be established using certain applications from ports tree.

Their "layer to run linux drivers" not finished yet, also many years down the line
        Which Linux drivers? Graphics. Intel, AMD and Nvidia graphics works. 11.2-RELEASE brought alive bunch of newer cards until then non-working.

ZFS? they are just a downstream.
        downstream and it's now a native file system with bunch of modifications to the OS itself to make it tightly integrated.

HAMMER2? developed by someone since 2012, ETA for completion unknown
        Regarding HAMMER2, you have no fucking clue. Does something like this https://gitweb.dragonflybsd.org/drag...hammer2/DESIGN
        look like:
        -finished
        -comparable to btrfs
        Amount of features is pretty meaningless, when you cannot TRUST the file system in the first place. So, yes, H2 is "more finished" in my eyes.
        I haven't managed to have single install using BTRfs lasting more than month, before something fatal happening to it. H2 somehow has survived, meaning despite amount of features, individual items have gotten more care.

Latest OpenSUSE could not even finish install before installer threw me an error because apparently something went wrong with taking a snapshot right there. Before I even finished flippin' install itself.

It is a cluster filesystem, which is an entirely different type filesytem. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Clustered_file_system
        And yet it can't be used as cluster filesystem, as it still lacks the features to do so.
        What HAMMER2 is good at now is more or less what Btrfs is also good/stable at, single drive only, no replication (RAID), no clustering. In both cases it's a far cry from the actual goal of the filesystem.
        It's usable for single drive install and does IMHO better job at it too. When I really want a raid, I can use the original Hammer, which does have RAID,SPAN.JBOD capability. Bother Hammers are accessible from DragonFly's installer.

VK9 is a library supposed to be run on Windows, or through Wine (which is multiplatform and can run on MacOS or BSDs too).
        What the fuck makes it a "linux project" in your mind?
        GitHub is where people build software. More than 100 million people use GitHub to discover, fork, and contribute to over 420 million projects.
        I looked at sources and while I could spot #elif defined macros for win32, linux and macOS, I spotted none for any of the bsds. THAT makes it pretty convincingly something that does not run on BSD's without it having to be ported first.

Why I think it's 'Linux software':

WHY would somebody try to run 'DX9 over Vulkan' on Windows? - Windows is a fucking native platform for DirectX to start with - DX9 apps work by default and just fine. I am playing Arma3 enforcing DX9 if need be and it just works (tested). Ergo, it's truly usable only on Linux or Mac.
        Now, lets look at Mac's. Currently (as of 2019) there are 0 Mac models remotely suitable for gaming, out of 10 being offered.
        Mac's come with mishmash of iGPU's or workstation gpu's, which are not suited for gaming. Ergo, it IS Linux software, even if not built for exclusively for Linux, it's mostly usable on Linux. Rest of the support is just decorative.
        More stupidity. KDE is not a Linux project, it is also running on BSDs, and most of their libraries use LGPL or BSD/MIT licenses.
        KDE core (the libraries) allow to make cross-platform applications for Android and even Windows.
        Oh, but it is "Linux project" Took years to get Plasma5 ported to FreeBSD in the first place. Why would you need porting on 'universal' code? It's still unusable on any of the other BSD's besides FreeBSD and TrueOS. Windows port required similar effort and it never worked properly - I've tried it.

Compiling KDE sources on FreeBSD goes like this: original sources get downloaded by port system, then port system does bunch of pre-defined automatic PATCHING on unpacked sources right there, then you can start compiling. 'Raw' sources without patching won't compile under FreeBSD.

It was the same deal with KDE3 and KDE4. Getting it working on BSD required dedicated removal of Linux-specific code/interfaces and adding BSD-compatible replacements. KDE increasing linuxisms were the very reason why PC-BSD became TrueOS and iXSystems started developing Lumina.

This is Canonical's work. You know the ones that ALWAYS reinvented the wheel when given the opportunity. Hardly big enough to be the flag of all things Linux though.
        Agree to disagree.
        Last edited by aht0; 16 February 2019, 06:11 PM.

Comment

I'd still prefer much more OpenSUSE over that so I think I'll try to see how stable OpenSUSE Tumbleweed can be on a ZFS array first.
          Did you install ZFS-on-root with OpenSUSE?

Comment

Working...
          X