X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Britoid
    replied
    Originally posted by Weasel View Post
    I personally hope it kills Red Hat in a few years, or at least the current Red Hat, so they stop polluting the Linux landscape.
    polluting with what?

Leave a comment:

• Weasel
    replied
    Originally posted by bash2bash View Post
    What worries me even more, is the assimilation of RedHat by IBM. Considering IBM's past with software, I am afraid that Fedora won't be something that goes along with IBM's rigid corporate structure.

IBM always had top software, like IBM OS/2, domino server and Lotus notes (etc), but failed to actually evolve them along with current technologies. Lets hope they don't destroy the Fedora eco-system...
    I personally hope it kills Red Hat in a few years, or at least the current Red Hat, so they stop polluting the Linux landscape.

Leave a comment:

• wizard69
    replied

The Window manager that gets installed with Fedora is not Gnome3. Given that while I agree it isn’t perfect bit is less buggy than many of the alternatives.

As for the spins, isn’t that the whole point of open source. That is you are left with the ability to morph a project to your own needs. The good thing with Fedora is that they have more or less official spins.
    For some reason, Fedora insists on using gnome3 by default, which is a horrible wm in my opinion, shared by many others and thus the need to have lots and lots of different "spins" to get around gnome3.

I'll give Deepin a try. So far I've been using cinnamon, which is beautiful but rather buggy and they don't seem to have much development going on.
    OK shouldn’t that last paragraph answer your question with regard to Window Managers. As for Deepin it still uses Gnome-common, GTK3 and other software that would imply that it is at least gnome derived.

Happy bug fixing.

Leave a comment:

• wizard69
    replied
    Linux is also widely used at IBM. I can’t see them dropping Fedora or messing up the organization on purpose. Like all management decisions mistakes will be made but Fedora did that all on their own.

In any event life at IBM revolves around making money. Redhat was doing that and frankly being part of IBM just makes it easier for them to get business in the future. In many eyes being part of IBM makes Fedora/Redhat ligitimate.

Originally posted by GdeR View Post

IBM is one of the most successful IT companies out there. Either they keep supporting Fedora if they believe it can successfully contribute to their services in the long-term, or it will be killed. One thing is sure, they won't burn their cash for any ideological war regarding opensource, free software and whatnot. They will just kill dead horses. If Fedora proves to be functional to their business then not only it won't be killed, but it will get even better. Let's just hope for the best and that the community is large enough to be able to fork the project in the worst case.

Leave a comment:

• Britoid
    replied
    Originally posted by GdeR View Post

IBM is one of the most successful IT companies out there. Either they keep supporting Fedora if they believe it can successfully contribute to their services in the long-term, or it will be killed. One thing is sure, they won't burn their cash for any ideological war regarding opensource, free software and whatnot. They will just kill dead horses. If Fedora proves to be functional to their business then not only it won't be killed, but it will get even better. Let's just hope for the best and that the community is large enough to be able to fork the project in the worst case.
    Also, IBM will likely want RHEL and it's related technologies to grow (why else acquire Red Hat?), which means Fedora is here to stay.

I expect probably more investment in GNOME (I wonder where that $1m donation came from), Fedora Silverblue and it's associated "cloud" stuff.

Leave a comment:

• GdeR
    replied
    What worries me even more, is the assimilation of RedHat by IBM. Considering IBM's past with software, I am afraid that Fedora won't be something that goes along with IBM's rigid corporate structure.
    IBM is one of the most successful IT companies out there. Either they keep supporting Fedora if they believe it can successfully contribute to their services in the long-term, or it will be killed. One thing is sure, they won't burn their cash for any ideological war regarding opensource, free software and whatnot. They will just get rid of dead horses. If Fedora proves to be functional to their business then not only it won't be killed, but it will get even better. Let's just hope for the best and that the community is large enough to be able to fork the project in the worst case.
    Last edited by GdeR; 12 February 2019, 06:25 PM.

Leave a comment:

• bash2bash
    replied

IBM always had top software, like IBM OS/2, domino server and Lotus notes (etc), but failed to actually evolve them along with current technologies. Lets hope they don't destroy the Fedora eco-system...

Leave a comment:

• orschiro
    replied
    Looking forward to Fedora 30 Xfce spin. Still working great here. 👍🙃

Leave a comment:

• Anvil
    replied
    doesnt surprise me that Yum3 wont be Dead till F31. i didnt think Fedora or the Koji devs would be able to do it in time for F30 . even Cinnamon needs Part of Gnome, Cinnamon is just a Shell like Gnome-shell is. but yes Cinnamon is Buggy , last i used it was anyway.

Leave a comment:

• WolfpackN64
    replied
    For some reason, Fedora insists on using gnome3 by default, which is a horrible wm in my opinion, shared by many others and thus the need to have lots and lots of different "spins" to get around gnome3.

I'll give Deepin a try. So far I've been using cinnamon, which is beautiful but rather buggy and they don't seem to have much development going on.
    Gnome 3 is not a Window Manager.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X