No announcement yet.

Fedora 30 Will Get Bash 5.0 But Yum's Death Sentence Postponed To F31

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Linux is also widely used at IBM. I can’t see them dropping Fedora or messing up the organization on purpose. Like all management decisions mistakes will be made but Fedora did that all on their own.

In any event life at IBM revolves around making money. Redhat was doing that and frankly being part of IBM just makes it easier for them to get business in the future. In many eyes being part of IBM makes Fedora/Redhat ligitimate.

Originally posted by GdeR View Post

IBM is one of the most successful IT companies out there. Either they keep supporting Fedora if they believe it can successfully contribute to their services in the long-term, or it will be killed. One thing is sure, they won't burn their cash for any ideological war regarding opensource, free software and whatnot. They will just kill dead horses. If Fedora proves to be functional to their business then not only it won't be killed, but it will get even better. Let's just hope for the best and that the community is large enough to be able to fork the project in the worst case.

Comment

The Window manager that gets installed with Fedora is not Gnome3. Given that while I agree it isn’t perfect bit is less buggy than many of the alternatives.

As for the spins, isn’t that the whole point of open source. That is you are left with the ability to morph a project to your own needs. The good thing with Fedora is that they have more or less official spins.
      Originally posted by bash2bash View Post
      For some reason, Fedora insists on using gnome3 by default, which is a horrible wm in my opinion, shared by many others and thus the need to have lots and lots of different "spins" to get around gnome3.

I'll give Deepin a try. So far I've been using cinnamon, which is beautiful but rather buggy and they don't seem to have much development going on.
      OK shouldn’t that last paragraph answer your question with regard to Window Managers. As for Deepin it still uses Gnome-common, GTK3 and other software that would imply that it is at least gnome derived.

Happy bug fixing.

Comment

Originally posted by bash2bash View Post
        What worries me even more, is the assimilation of RedHat by IBM. Considering IBM's past with software, I am afraid that Fedora won't be something that goes along with IBM's rigid corporate structure.

IBM always had top software, like IBM OS/2, domino server and Lotus notes (etc), but failed to actually evolve them along with current technologies. Lets hope they don't destroy the Fedora eco-system...
        I personally hope it kills Red Hat in a few years, or at least the current Red Hat, so they stop polluting the Linux landscape.

Comment

Originally posted by Weasel View Post
          I personally hope it kills Red Hat in a few years, or at least the current Red Hat, so they stop polluting the Linux landscape.
          polluting with what?

Comment

Originally posted by Britoid View Post
            polluting with what?
            Obviously with projects they push down people's throats (because they have the authority to do so).

I know people who are so used to them will now whine back like "but these things are awesome and they help Linux so much and blablabla". Well no, a lot of alternatives end up not being used because they're not as big as RH (it is exactly as it was with Microsoft's EEE, which kill off smaller alternatives) even though they would have been better. Such people will never experience them though, cause all they use is Red Hat garbage.

Of course, this is my opinion, which is why I said "I personally hope"...

Comment

Originally posted by Weasel View Post
              Obviously with projects they push down people's throats (because they have the authority to do so).

I know people who are so used to them will now whine back like "but these things are awesome and they help Linux so much and blablabla". Well no, a lot of alternatives end up not being used because they're not as big as RH (it is exactly as it was with Microsoft's EEE, which kill off smaller alternatives) even though they would have been better. Such people will never experience them though, cause all they use is Red Hat garbage.

Of course, this is my opinion, which is why I said "I personally hope"...
              Care to share one concrete (as in remotely objective) example of a superior technology that got killed by RH?

- Gilboa
              oVirt-HV1: Intel S2600C0, 2xE5-2658V2, 128GB, 8x2TB, 4x480GB SSD, GTX1080 (to-VM), Dell U3219Q, U2415, U2412M.
              oVirt-HV2: Intel S2400GP2, 2xE5-2448L, 120GB, 8x2TB, 4x480GB SSD, GTX730 (to-VM).
              oVirt-HV3: Gigabyte B85M-HD3, E3-1245V3, 32GB, 4x1TB, 2x480GB SSD, GTX980 (to-VM).
              Devel-2: Asus H110M-K, i5-6500, 16GB, 3x1TB + 128GB-SSD, F33.

Comment

Funny. Normally, Cinnamon gets a lot of praise because of its stability and reliability, but in this thread, people complain that it's buggy :/

Comment

Oh you are young and/or don't really know the horrible history of IBM software

IBM owns or owned in the past, a large amount of software that was revolutionary and technically more advanced than the competition and almost all of them failed due to IBM's horrible rigid corporate strategy. To give you an example, when M$ had 16-bit single-thread DOS-based Windows 3 and Windows 95, IBM had its own 32-bit SMP (!) fully threaded, multi-tasking operating system. What did they do with it? absolutely nothing.

The IBM landscape is littered with the dead bodies of dead IBM software, like Lotus Notes (and derivative Lotus apps), Domino server and the list goes on and on...

IBM took over RedHat for their cloud software. Believe me, I know that very well, IBM needs a competing branch to AWS and Azure and RedHat is their solution. In other words, Fedora, CentOS and their likes are insignificant and don't really fit within IBM's cloud strategy.

Even the RedHat guys have been placing bets, waiting to see which piece of their software will be another dead body in the IBM landscape of dead software...

Originally posted by GdeR View Post

IBM is one of the most successful IT companies out there. Either they keep supporting Fedora if they believe it can successfully contribute to their services in the long-term, or it will be killed. One thing is sure, they won't burn their cash for any ideological war regarding opensource, free software and whatnot. They will just kill dead horses. If Fedora proves to be functional to their business then not only it won't be killed, but it will get even better. Let's just hope for the best and that the community is large enough to be able to fork the project in the worst case.

Comment

Originally posted by gilboa View Post
                    Care to share one concrete (as in remotely objective) example of a superior technology that got killed by RH?
                    For starters, all other init systems than systemd. Then you have PulseAudio, which technically had no alternative at the time but it got pushed so hard when it was extremely buggy that now almost everything depends on it. Nobody could come up with any alternatives, it's like pissing against the wind, you just don't do it when the wind pushes so hard. Of course, it's decent now, but it wasn't at the beginning.

You see even PipeWire tries to make compatible interface to pulse, you simply can't have an alternative otherwise. So it killed off any alternative interfaces, and let me tell you, pulse's interface is garbage, and now we're stuck with it.

Reminds me of Microsoft. Oh wait, I've said that so many times now, but MS get a lot of flak, while RH get praise. Typical open source community.

Comment

Originally posted by Vistaus View Post
                      Funny. Normally, Cinnamon gets a lot of praise because of its stability and reliability, but in this thread, people complain that it's buggy :/
                      Well, a few posters at the start of the thread are enthusiastic about using some obscure QT OS (spin?), that is based in China (which apparently spied on users), which hardly anyone uses. Good luck with that. Go figure.... Fedora sounds like it's on its way to eventual collapse which is a shame.

Comment

Working...
                      X