Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• mzs.112000
    replied
    I wonder if Linux Mint could build a variant for Raspberry Pi/it's clones, and/or the PineBook?

Leave a comment:

• buzzrobot
    replied
    Originally posted by ipsirc View Post

custom backgrounds and boot screen, and slower security updates.
    Updates -- security, kernel, etc. -- haven't been tiered for some time. Mint users get them as soon as Ubuntu users.

See packages.linuxmint.com for the packages Mint brings in. They've never tried to obscure the fact they're an Ubuntu derivative.

Leave a comment:

• Vistaus
    replied
    Originally posted by nomadewolf View Post

I have read comments for people saying they love Cinnamon + X distro...
    And judging by how many distros support Cinnamon, i believe it is fairly popular.
    It is not the most popular out of Mint, for sure...
    How much popular it actually is, i guess it is anyone's guess...
    Thank you, that's more alike the answer I was looking for

Leave a comment:

• nomadewolf
    replied
    Originally posted by Vistaus View Post

I did not intentionally leave that out, I just quoted the part that I thought was relevant. Your second part didn't really add much of an answer to my question. The fact that it's available in other distros doesn't people actually use it.
    If it is available on other distros it means people use it. Otherwise it would just get deprecated...

Leave a comment:

• nomadewolf
    replied

If that's your answer, then you didn't understand my question. I was asking about CINNAMON market share OUTSIDE OF Mint, not Mint itself.
    I have read comments for people saying they love Cinnamon + X distro...
    And judging by how many distros support Cinnamon, i believe it is fairly popular.
    It is not the most popular out of Mint, for sure...
    How much popular it actually is, i guess it is anyone's guess...

Leave a comment:

• nomadewolf
    replied
    Originally posted by Mercyful Fate View Post
    I view Linux Mint as nothing more than Ubuntu with the Cinnamon desktop - which last time I tried (admittedly many years ago) was craptastic.
    What other value do they bring?
    Linux Mint differences/improvements over Ubuntu:
    - Spyware disabled by default
    - Mint actually contributes to other packages/projects it uses, instead of trying to steal/hijack their revenue, or create a competing project
    - Mint has their own Update Manager which gives way more info, customization and option to choose how to Update
    - Mint adds loads of small stuff like: righ-click open terminal here, right-click open as admin, install/uninstall packages from the start menu
    - Mint was one of ( if not THE) first distro to auto bundle flatpaks into their software center
    - Mint has backup and snapshot tools that safeguard users from system breaks

Mint's strong point is that it just works, it's rock solid, has a classic DE and loads of small tweaks that make using it enjoyable.
    If you want the latest packages yesterday then Mint is not for you...

Leave a comment:

• Vistaus
    replied
    Originally posted by calc View Post

I had more to my answer that you intentionally left out because you are just a troll.
    I did not intentionally leave that out, I just quoted the part that I thought was relevant. Your second part didn't really add much of an answer to my question. The fact that it's available in other distros doesn't people actually use it.

Leave a comment:

• Flaburgan
    replied
    Originally posted by Mercyful Fate View Post
    I view Linux Mint as nothing more than Ubuntu with the Cinnamon desktop - which last time I tried (admittedly many years ago) was craptastic.
    What other value do they bring?
    It is very polished and works well. This is the distribution I use for first time Linux user as the interface is very close to Windows. And it is a pragmatic distro. It's free software but it's easy to integrate with proprietary software. It just works.

Leave a comment:

• geearf
    replied

And just as above: you also didn't understand my question. I was asking about CINNAMON market share OUTSIDE OF Mint, not Mint itself.
    I wasn't answering your question though.

Leave a comment:

• calc
    replied
    If that's your answer, then you didn't understand my question. I was asking about CINNAMON market share OUTSIDE OF Mint, not Mint itself.
    I had more to my answer that you intentionally left out because you are just a troll.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X