Linux Mint Begins Plotting Their 2019 Improvements With Fresh Funding

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Linux Mint Begins Plotting Their 2019 Improvements With Fresh Funding

Phoronix: Linux Mint Begins Plotting Their 2019 Improvements With Fresh Funding

Last month the Ubuntu/Debian-based Linux Mint distribution crew collected more than twenty-two thousand dollars in donations during the holiday period. With that record high in monthly donations for the project, they are as motivated as ever for delivering more improvements to their desktop-focused distro this year...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Typo: "...and splutting Cinnamon..."

Comment

Good for them, they deserve it. It's a fantastic solid distro.

Personally I think their strength is the Cinnamon desktop environment, they don't seem to have the manpower to hold a distro per se though. Reading their monthly updates it seems their focus is on the DE anyways, all the rest is Ubuntu.

KDE is catching up very quickly and it's becoming very very solid as well, so Cinnamon has good competition in the Desktop market. Gnome is doing great for 2-in-1s and touch screens and stuff.

Comment

Originally posted by JeansenVaars View Post
        Good for them, they deserve it. It's a fantastic solid distro.

Personally I think their strength is the Cinnamon desktop environment, they don't seem to have the manpower to hold a distro per se though. Reading their monthly updates it seems their focus is on the DE anyways, all the rest is Ubuntu.

KDE is catching up very quickly and it's becoming very very solid as well, so Cinnamon has good competition in the Desktop market. Gnome is doing great for 2-in-1s and touch screens and stuff.
        Is Cinnamon competitive though? I don't mean in terms of features or anything, but in terms of market share. Correct me if I'm wrong, but I have a feeling that Cinnamon isn't used much outside of Linux Mint and Mint doesn't have the highest market share either in the distro world. (yes, I know Linux market share is low to begin with, but you get my point)

Comment

Originally posted by Vistaus View Post
          Is Cinnamon competitive though? I don't mean in terms of features or anything, but in terms of market share. Correct me if I'm wrong, but I have a feeling that Cinnamon isn't used much outside of Linux Mint and Mint doesn't have the highest market share either in the distro world. (yes, I know Linux market share is low to begin with, but you get my point)
          Not sure how you are determining market share. By a very crude measure, distrowatch, Mint has been in the top 5 for many years.

Cinnamon is also available in most distros including Arch, Debian, Ubuntu, and has a separate spin for Fedora.

Comment

I view Linux Mint as nothing more than Ubuntu with the Cinnamon desktop - which last time I tried (admittedly many years ago) was craptastic.
            What other value do they bring?

Comment

Originally posted by Mercyful Fate View Post
              I view Linux Mint as nothing more than Ubuntu with the Cinnamon desktop - which last time I tried (admittedly many years ago) was craptastic.
              Let me guess, you're one of the Arch/Gentoo people who think the point of Linux is managing to install it, and to make it as hard as possible to do that, not as just another tool to get real work done.

Comment

Originally posted by Vistaus View Post

Isn't Mint one of the most popular distributions for casuals?

Comment

Originally posted by Mercyful Fate View Post
                  custom backgrounds and boot screen, and slower security updates.

Comment

Originally posted by calc View Post

Not sure how you are determining market share. By a very crude measure, distrowatch, Mint has been in the top 5 for many years.
                    If that's your answer, then you didn't understand my question. I was asking about CINNAMON market share OUTSIDE OF Mint, not Mint itself.

Comment

Working...
                    X