Alpine 3.9 Brings ARMv7 Support, Switches Back To OpenSSL, Improves GRUB

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Alpine 3.9 Brings ARMv7 Support, Switches Back To OpenSSL, Improves GRUB

Phoronix: Alpine 3.9 Brings ARMv7 Support, Switches Back To OpenSSL, Improves GRUB

The Alpine Linux distribution that is lightweight and security focused and based on Busybox and musl libc is out with their version 3.9.0 feature release. The latest improvements to this operating system continue with a focus of Alpine being used within containers and other lightweight use-cases...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

For those wondering why they switched back to OpenSSL, checkout this discussion thread on the mailing list:

I had high hopes for LibreSSL, but having read some of that thread, I think they made the right decision switching back.

Comment

Originally posted by cybertraveler View Post
      For those wondering why they switched back to OpenSSL, checkout this discussion thread on the mailing list:

I had high hopes for LibreSSL, but having read some of that thread, I think they made the right decision switching back.
      That and the idiotic version definition debacle (using the OpenSSL 1.0.0 API while presenting itself as OpenSSL v2.0.0) does not look good for LibreSSL in any way.

Comment

Originally posted by F.Ultra View Post

That and the idiotic version definition debacle (using the OpenSSL 1.0.0 API while presenting itself as OpenSSL v2.0.0) does not look good for LibreSSL in any way.
        It's kind of mind blowing that they would do that.

Comment

Originally posted by cybertraveler View Post

It's kind of mind blowing that they would do that.
          More like arrogance if you ask me. Thankfully the "fix" is quite simple but then even this breaks if they change the API again in future versions:
          Code:
          # if (defined LIBRESSL_VERSION_NUMBER && OPENSSL_VERSION_NUMBER == 0x20000000L)
          #  undef OPENSSL_VERSION_NUMBER
          #  define OPENSSL_VERSION_NUMBER 0x1000107fL
          # endif

Comment

Working...
          X