Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Fedora 30 Might Finish Removing The Old Yum Package Manager

Phoronix: Fedora 30 Might Finish Removing The Old Yum Package Manager

Yum was supposed to be removed from Fedora 29 in favor of the modern DNF package manager that is largely compatible with Yum commands of the past. But its retirement was delayed due to the request being late in the cycle and some infrastructure like Koji and Pungi having not finished the migration to DNF interfaces. Yum's retirement might come for Fedora 30 but it could be too late...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Originally posted by hreindl View Post
    who right in his mind proposes koji (https://koji.fedoraproject.org/koji/builds) thoughtlessly in the list of "packages to be removed"
    Soon SystemD will fill that gap and build your builds for Fedora
    Lennart already hacked up all the code...

Comment

poor idiot
      Thats what your mom told me about you, when I first met her at the Prater...

Comment

Originally posted by Candy View Post
        Soon SystemD will fill that gap and build your builds for Fedora
        Lennart already hacked up all the code...
        hreindl replied in 11 minutes on a thread without systemd in title. That's some serious white knighting dedication as its bitch.

Comment

There's nothing to retire: yum has been a symlink to DNF for several Fedora releases already:
          Code:
          # ls -la `which yum`
          lrwxrwxrwx. 1 root root 5 Dec 13 10:33 /usr/bin/yum -> dnf-3

Comment

Originally posted by Weasel View Post
            hreindl replied in 11 minutes on a thread without systemd in title. That's some serious white knighting dedication as its bitch.
            It's always fun stirring him up within a micro second by using some trigger words like "SystemD". Though he could improve in his vocabular and social skills. Even stirring up some mud, doesn't justify being called an idiot. For someone claiming to run a company he clearly doesn't throw a good light at him and his service.

Comment

Originally posted by birdie View Post
              There's nothing to retire: yum has been a symlink to DNF for several Fedora releases already:
              Code:
              # ls -la `which yum`
              lrwxrwxrwx. 1 root root 5 Dec 13 10:33 /usr/bin/yum -> dnf-3
              No! In this particular case they are referring to yum-deprecated that is still needed by said packages (as in the initial text). yum got symlinked to dnf as you correctly figured out. But people still use yum-deprecated to a certain degree.

And also note that this may affect RHEL and CentOS one day. And corporates are running into trouble changing all their scripts because dnf is not really compatible to yum. As the initial text says "largely compatible"... but not "compatible"...

Comment

other than you little fucker i am interested in a lot of technical stuff
                You should also be interested in your social environment and not post peoples emails - that are supposed to be on the fedora devel mailing list - on a public news site like phoronix - including his real email address. You probably didn't even informed him about having done this. I am referring to the email written by Igor Gnatenko - a respected Fedora supporter and contributor. If you believe that he is out of his mind, then you should have responded to him on the fedora devel mailing list, so people can have a normal respectful conversation.

But not this!

Comment

Originally posted by Candy View Post
                  Thats what your mom told me about you, when I first met her at the Prater...
                  Mummy Jokes, rather old, Grow the fuck up ya idiot

Comment

i cant see YUM being retired till F31 . if not 32 at the latest https://github.com/rpm-software-mana...grabber/pull/8 https://lists.fedoraproject.org/arch...ZUDGHODLOKXLU/
                    Last edited by Anvil; 28 January 2019, 05:30 PM.

Comment

Working...
                    X