Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• OpenSUSE Tumbleweed Now Rolling With Linux 4.20, KDE Updates

Phoronix: OpenSUSE Tumbleweed Now Rolling With Linux 4.20, KDE Updates

If your new year's resolution was to try out a Linux rolling-release distribution, openSUSE Tumbleweed has shipped a number of updates ahead of the weekend for those wanting to give it a try. OpenSUSE Tumbleweed is now making use of the Linux 4.20 stable kernel, KDE desktop package updates, and much more...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Also, just 3 days ago openSUSE Kubic became the first open source Kubernetes distribution to be certified using the CRI-O container runtime. CRI-O is is a lightweight alternative to using Docker as the runtime for kubernetes, and openSUSE Kubic is the only distro going with CRI-O as the default.

Comment

I've been using Tumbleweed for over a year without any problem, it's the first time that with a rolling distribution I have no problems, the good thing about Tumbleweed is the testing before the release and the release when the tests are passed and the stability it's acceptable. Good job !

Comment

Switched from Kubuntu to openSUSE TW, all ok so far, love it. A great stable OS for Plasma desktop.

Comment

Tumbleweed is the first rolling release I've used that has inspired me enough confidence to make it a daily driver on all my machines. This is due to a combination of good upstream testing (it is rare for a broken package to land on my machine, though it can occasionally happen) and excellent downstream recovery from broken updates thanks to the "snapper" system recovery tool.

I hope that in due time, other rolling releases will get the memo that such update woe avoidance and recovery matters.

Comment

Same experience as the above users :
            Long time openSUSE user, switched to Tumbleweed about ~4 years ago (some time short after Factory and Tumbleweed merged).
            Never had a single regret since the switch.
            It's the single best most stable(*) rolling distro I've experienced.

---
            (*): Not the Debian meaning of Stable (= version doesn't move a iota for several years),
            the "doesn't explode and require 2 full days of nursing whenever you have fortitude to try updating/recompiling your Gentoo installation" kind of stable.

Yes, I've been burned by Gentoo before :-P (I'm exaggerating a bit.)

Comment

Tumbleweed has the nicest installer for a Linux distribution I've seen to date. Well done to the team for that alone.

Comment

Working...
              X