Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What linux for a complete noob? threadripper based system.

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What linux for a complete noob? threadripper based system.

Hi, I have been using windows and mac os for years, and have tried linux a couple of times but always had issues when installing it. But I really want to give it a try for my 3d work. So, what would be my best option regarding the various builds out there? I have a threadripper 1950, gigabyte x399 Aorus M/B, 64gb 2666mhz ddr4, gigabyte 1070ti, samsung nvme, various ssd and mechanical HHD. This is purely for work using Maya/blender/houdini/Nukex and Zbrush if a linux version is available. Hope this is OK to ask, had a quick search of the forums couldn't find anything relating so I asked. Anyone have a similar setup?

Generally, Ubuntu is the most popular, therefore you are most likely to get vendor support / instructions for that distribution.

With Maya in particular, they offer RPM packages, so using a RPM based distro (OpenSUSE, Fedora, etc.) may be an alternative to consider.

Comment

The Xfce desktop is best for a windows user and it is light, stable, fast and freely configurable. Debian testing is stable rolling release OS and compatible with ubuntu. Debian has most software of Linux distros.Use netinst and choose the Xfce desktop in the installer.
      https://cdimage.debian.org/cdimage/b.../amd64/iso-cd/

Get the driver for 1070ti from: https://www.nvidia.com/Download/driv...x/141847/en-us

With Synaptic, install: build-essential and linux-headers packages for the 4.19 kernel. Install blender too.
      Unzip the driver and boot to the Linux rescue mode form the Grub menu. cd to your Download directory and execute the run file.

Comment

Why, to hell, do you suggest such wrong things. Installing that driver from the installer is the total wrong way.
        Stop telling nonsense in this forum, no one give a shit to your meanings.
        Use your own distro, be happy, but shut the fuck up.

Comment

Originally posted by towo2099 View Post
          Why, to hell, do you suggest such wrong things. Installing that driver from the installer is the total wrong way.
          Prove that.

Stop telling nonsense in this forum, no one give a shit to your meanings.
          Prove that.

Use your own distro, be happy, but shut the fuck up.
          You feel bad and do something else to feel better. Your last messages in phoronix are non academic and against the internet etiquette.

Comment

There is nothing to proof, all installs which are bypassing the package management are wrong!
            Also the installer is overwriting systemlibs, so begin and use your brain!

And btw, 99% of your posts are nonsense posts by suggesting your own frankendebian setup! That's enougth proof.

Comment

Originally posted by debianxfce View Post
              Prove that.
              It has been proved a thousand times.

Prove that.
              It has been proved a thousand times.

You feel bad and do something else to feel better. Your last messages in phoronix are non academic and against the internet etiquette.
              "Listen to me or die and quit"? I hate you.

Comment

Originally posted by chithanh View Post
                Generally, Ubuntu is the most popular, therefore you are most likely to get vendor support / instructions for that distribution.

With Maya in particular, they offer RPM packages, so using a RPM based distro (OpenSUSE, Fedora, etc.) may be an alternative to consider.
                I wish I could suggest Ubuntu as well but I lately had a lot of stability issues with it, even just right after installing.

I think the latter is the better option.

Comment

Originally posted by chithanh View Post

More precisely Ubuntu Studio perhaps. It's distribution targeting creative-minded people. Audio, video, graphics, 3D.
                  https://ubuntustudio.org/

Comment

Install debian stable xfce yada yada yada

Prove that.
                    Each Linux distro is compiled with it's own common ABI. So using packages off different distro simply breaks shit long-term. Over-written system libs, package management dependency-hell's.. All you'd get eventually is a broken OS. Even I know that.

Comment

Working...
                    X