• Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by frank007 View Post

I know what I say...
    lol.

Please don't suggest GTK.

What about PythonGTK?

There's EFL, FLTK, Imgui, TKinter, KIvy, Nuklear, and a lot more. Check out this link for more.

Comment

Deepin dealt with the leaking info sometime ago. Benefit of open source.

Desktop is resource intensive. Not for lightweight low core devices.

My only beef is that when I open the software store, sometimes I get the top 10 apps in Mandarin.

Comment

Originally posted by ThoreauHD View Post
        Deepin seems to be a real newbie catcher. The only guy that knows what he's talking about is the one 'wearing a tin foil hat'. Whereas the rest of you don't even know what Deepin means, nor where it's developed. You ever wonder why there are no Chinese posts, including Deepin support, on any of the forums across the internet? Geolocate their high rise, and you'll see Chairman Xi staring back at you.

If you'll get bent over this easily for pretty colors, I have to wonder how much use you'll be later when the SHTF. I'd imagine none at all.
        ^ This. China, along with Iran, DPRK, DRC, Nigeria, Yemen, and a few others are insular societies controlled by hostile regimes. Nothing comes in or out of those countries without government approval, and these govts are not known for being friendly and benevolent international collaborators. Quite the contrary, they have a well earned reputation for acting in sneaky and malicious ways, particularly towards western civilizations. I wouldn't trust any code that is primarily sponsored or controlled by those places.
        Last edited by torsionbar28; 15 January 2019, 01:32 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by torsionbar28 View Post
          Never heard of this 'Deepin' desktop before. Looking at a few youtube videos of it, it appears to offer a very polished experience. I see elements borrowed from Win10 and from OSX. Unfortunate that it runs atop GNOME3.

I'm still very satisfied with MATE, but it's nice to see something new out there that caters to those turned off by Plasma & GNOME3.
          Lolwut? Did I miss the news item about GNOME switching to Qt 5? 'Cause Deepin uses Qt 5.

Comment

Originally posted by ThoreauHD View Post
            Deepin seems to be a real newbie catcher. The only guy that knows what he's talking about is the one 'wearing a tin foil hat'. Whereas the rest of you don't even know what Deepin means, nor where it's developed. You ever wonder why there are no Chinese posts, including Deepin support, on any of the forums across the internet? Geolocate their high rise, and you'll see Chairman Xi staring back at you.

If you'll get bent over this easily for pretty colors, I have to wonder how much use you'll be later when the SHTF. I'd imagine none at all.
            But even if they were spying, how would that be worse than the NSA, AIVD, FSB, UK intelligence agency, Israeli intelligence agency, etc. who are already spying on you (on the internet, but also in other places)?

Comment

Originally posted by Vistaus View Post
              But even if they were spying, how would that be worse than the NSA, AIVD, FSB, UK intelligence agency, Israeli intelligence agency, etc. who are already spying on you (on the internet, but also in other places)?
              ^ Literally one of the dumbest questions I have read in these forums.

Comment

^ Literally one of the dumbest questions I have read in these forums.
                ^ Literally one of the dumbest answers I have read in these forums.

Comment

Originally posted by Vistaus View Post

Lolwut? Did I miss the news item about GNOME switching to Qt 5? 'Cause Deepin uses Qt 5.
                  Actually install it or fake install it and see it's dependencies if you don't believe these posts. I posted a screenshot earlier but it was removed. You can't even install the Deepin Control Panel without pulling in gnome-shell and gnome-desktop. It also uses a forked version of Mutter.

Deepin uses Gnome Frameworks (like gnome-keyring) and those pull in Gnome. Deepin is essentially QT components on top of Gnome. Nothing wrong with that -- it makes for a very pretty desktop.

Comment

... Nothing comes in or out ... without government approval, and ... not known for being friendly and benevolent international collaborators. Quite the contrary, they have a well earned reputation for acting in sneaky and malicious ways, particularly towards western civilizations.
                    Sounds like the US government, yeah.

Comment

Originally posted by ElectricPrism View Post

If you want people to be able to have alternatives you should support development of independent components that make up a desktop instead of monolithic all-in-one desktop shells where it's 100% take it or leave it.
                      I for one think it's refreshing to get a cohesive whole experience in one package. I think Linux has enough distros built out of barely fitting parts. One person's modularity is another person's usability nightmare.

Comment

Working...
                      X