No announcement yet.

Deepin Desktop Option Approved For Fedora 30

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I don't have an opinion on whether it's good looking or not. I haven't looked into the spyware claims. I wouldn't ever consider installing it because the developers are such supreme incompetents.

They created a new qimageio plugin for image types for which Qt already provides qimageio plugins; built it around a weird and mostly unknown image handling library, then, in order to provide better compatibility with a wider range of files, removed a check for 0 length files, so their plugin would blithely try to read the magic number at the beginning of files of zero bytes length with a jpg extension -- causing a crash in every Qt application on the system that would try to read jpg files. See https://github.com/linuxdeepin/deepi...iewer/issues/2

Comment

Originally posted by ElectricPrism View Post

If you want people to be able to have alternatives you should support development of independent components that make up a desktop instead of monolithic all-in-one desktop shells where it's 100% take it or leave it.
      In fact, I use Tint2 panel with Lxqt and I am very happy with it. My PC is powerful, I can also use Kde, but I don't understand why my cpu should be used for nothing. My opinion about Gnome3 and Kde5: must be completely recoded. My opinion about Gtk3: useless. Is there in the Linux world a good library for gui, fast, nice, easy to use and "completely" free (and maybe with python support)? Gtk3, too many dangerous bugs; Qt5, not completely free; these are the only choises for making something hopefully good.

Comment

Originally posted by debianxfce View Post

PythonGtk is built in Debian based distributions. Latest Xfce uses Gtk3, only and 4 years old bug what I have seen is that with my 4K monitor I need to write "Xft.dpi: 192" in ~/.Xresources.
        I know what I say...

Comment

Originally posted by ElectricPrism View Post

If you want people to be able to have alternatives you should support development of independent components that make up a desktop instead of monolithic all-in-one desktop shells where it's 100% take it or leave it.
          Come one. Who does that? What's out there? Openbox and a cluster of XFCE packages? Someone is packaging Deepin for Fedora. That's providing a choice at the level most everyone makes it at.

Someone packaging Deepin for Fedora has NO impact on the alternatives available to anyone. What you're really saying is you want to confine people to being able to make only the choices you would make.
          Last edited by buzzrobot; 15 January 2019, 07:04 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by xiando View Post

The Chinese communist distribution Deepin was in fact running GNOME with a skin on top of it for many years. It was GNOME based. The Deepin Desktop Environment spyware is in fact written in Qt. Their Desktop Environment has nothing to do with GNOME, it is their own custom Qt-based thing. And yes, they really are admitting that they are submitting information about your screen size and your browser and other incriminating details and they call it "harmless". They are not even trying to deny it, just like Fedora isn't denying that they want to give each installation a special UUID which identifies you so they can "harmlessly count you".
            The "spying" charges have been disproved. But if you're the sort that thinks the everyday workings of the internet -- like servers knowing your screen size and the browser your using -- is "spying" then you probably don't care. (And just why would anyone think that info is "incriminating"?)

Fedora's UUID? It's a number. How is that going to *identify* you? You do know your machine is assigned an IP address that Fedora's Evil Servers use so the files your browser requested can actually find you?

Comment

Originally posted by frank007 View Post

In fact, I use Tint2 panel with Lxqt and I am very happy with it. My PC is powerful, I can also use Kde, but I don't understand why my cpu should be used for nothing. My opinion about Gnome3 and Kde5: must be completely recoded. My opinion about Gtk3: useless. Is there in the Linux world a good library for gui, fast, nice, easy to use and "completely" free (and maybe with python support)? Gtk3, too many dangerous bugs; Qt5, not completely free; these are the only choises for making something hopefully good.
              CPU's and GPU's are made to be used. Why hobble yourself on some silly quest to keep meaningless numbers down? Worry about it if your chips are constantly at 100%.

Comment

Deepin seems to be a real newbie catcher. The only guy that knows what he's talking about is the one 'wearing a tin foil hat'. Whereas the rest of you don't even know what Deepin means, nor where it's developed. You ever wonder why there are no Chinese posts, including Deepin support, on any of the forums across the internet? Geolocate their high rise, and you'll see Chairman Xi staring back at you.

If you'll get bent over this easily for pretty colors, I have to wonder how much use you'll be later when the SHTF. I'd imagine none at all.

Comment

Originally posted by xiando View Post

The Chinese communist distribution Deepin was in fact running GNOME with a skin on top of it for many years. It was GNOME based. The Deepin Desktop Environment spyware is in fact written in Qt. Their Desktop Environment has nothing to do with GNOME, it is their own custom Qt-based thing. And yes, they really are admitting that they are submitting information about your screen size and your browser and other incriminating details and they call it "harmless". They are not even trying to deny it, just like Fedora isn't denying that they want to give each installation a special UUID which identifies you so they can "harmlessly count you".
                  Jesus christ not this again. Their "app store" is an embedded HTML page, and that page uses a tracker that is basically identical to Google Analytics. It tracks you just as much as any webpage out there, even Phoronix has Google Analytics. So writing that post make you just as tracked (probably more, as Google collects more info and Phoronix also uses adsense and stuff like that) than using Deepin. Also, it's well tested and proven to only be that application, you don't have to use it. I even think they removed it from the last round of complaints.

Other than that I've seen several tests when network traffic is monitored and there is so far zero evidence of any spyware / tracking / backdoors or whatever in Deepin. I use it with no worries at all.

Comment

Originally posted by stingray454 View Post
                    even Phoronix has Google Analytics. So writing that post make you just as tracked (probably more, as Google collects more info and Phoronix also uses adsense and stuff like that) than using Deepin
                    Some people get tracked, others use Ublock and NoScript. Some people get STDs, others use condoms. That some get STDs does not mean you should go stick it in every crack whore you come across without a condom. Tracking is always a bad idea.

Tracking is specially bad when it's done by a program which runs with root privileges which can install software because it makes it really easy to install a custom piece of software just for you. I live in a country where people are regularly arrested for writing something critical about the regime. You don't need to be a drug dealer or anything like that to have government backdoors installed, some off-hand comment on the Internet is enough here. It's worth considering if a GNU/Linux distribution should open the door for that sort of thing.

Comment

Originally posted by pracedru View Post

Wut?
                      This article even states that Deepin is Qt5 based. They do use some GTK widgets, but in no stretch can you say that Deepin is Gnome3 based.
                      Actually install or fake install Deepin and take a look at the dependencies it pulls in. The antergos-meta package pulls in 500 some odd MB of packages including gnome-shell and gnome-desktop. Not picking their meta and only selecting Deepin programs does the same. A lot of Deepin might be QT based in looks, but it depends on Gnome Frameworks for how it handles a lot of its internals.

This is just selecting Deepin Control Panel on Antergos

Comment

Working...
                      X