Solus Plans For A Busy 2019 With Budgie 10.5/11, Solus 4, Sol & Ypkg 3

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by trivialfis

GUIX uses Guile, not scheme, a dialet at most. It troubles me that I can't use other scheme implementations.
    Why does it trouble you? I've used Guile for some trivial scripts and it works fine. I understand some of the other Scheme implementations are faster, but I'm not going to lose sleep over it. Parts of apt and yum/dnf use Python, right?

Comment

Originally posted by Nuc!eoN View Post
      Weird. Last time I read they were going to rewrite Budgie in Qt?
      They changed their minds.

Comment

Originally posted by 144Hz View Post
        Smart guys. They frame Solus as something very different but keep using the same compositor and tools as Ubuntu, Fedora etc.
        I don't know what you're trying to get at here. There's plenty that's unique about solus.

Most distros share various components, but that doesn't make them identical.

Is fedora the same as ubuntu because they both use gnome? No.

Comment

Originally posted by trivialfis

Please do note that I like GUIX. If the following word somehow make GUIX folks uncomfortable, I'm sorry.

Not for performance reason. I was a minor contributor before. Scheme is a rather simple language while Guile is bloated with bad document. If they stick to rnrs, I can roll out many tools like implementing language server, macro stepper etc. I like a language with full blown helper tools. Currently scheme lacks these kind of tools makes understanding large project like GUIX more time consuming. Besides, guile's language level extensions is not semantically well defined (or well defined without documents so that I can't tell)
          Thanks for explaining. I defer to your expertise. As I wrote before, I only wrote some trivial scripts in Guile.

Comment

Originally posted by Britoid View Post

They changed their minds.
            Is there any source in text form? They made a big blog entry because of the Qt move but I didn't see any info that they actually changed their minds. I don't think they would just silently drop their plans. That's not professional.

Comment

Originally posted by Nuc!eoN View Post
              Weird. Last time I read they were going to rewrite Budgie in Qt?
              That's still planned, however the distro's architecture is currently the immediate focus.

Comment

Originally posted by 144Hz View Post
                Smart guys. They frame Solus as something very different but keep using the same compositor and tools as Ubuntu, Fedora etc.
                What makes a distro different is not always the tools (and we do have some tools of our own), but rather it's direction.
                I'm horrible at explaining things, so I am having a hard time finding the correct words here, but you could say that the point here is to bring a curated stable rolling release which is first and foremost meant to be used by home-users, without giving up on either efficiency or functionality.

Comment

Budgie 11 will be the one rewritten in Qt, IIRC

Comment

Originally posted by andrebrait View Post
                    Budgie 11 will be the one rewritten in Qt, IIRC
                    Nope.

I Tawt I Taw A Purdy Desktop. Contribute to solus-project/budgie-desktop development by creating an account on GitHub.

Comment

Honestly, I was surprised by that (somehow I had missed it when initially reading it), since there was no mention of it in the Solus Phabricator.
                      I'll try popping in IRC and ask, though I almost never use IRC.

144Hz I understand and agree with what you mean, however I can say that what was meant by "Solus is not based upon any other distro", is that the architecture is brand new (i.e. utilizing scripts to complement SystemD, rather one or the other), not that the underlying software is (and there are a few bits that are brand new, some of which are already in Solus. and some which are being built slowly but surely).

Update: For some odd reason I cannot access any of the Solus IRC channels, so I have left a bug report about that on Phabricator for now.
                      When I'll have more information about this, I'll post it here.
                      Last edited by moriel5; 15 January 2019, 03:05 PM.

Comment

Working...
                      X