Solus Plans For A Busy 2019 With Budgie 10.5/11, Solus 4, Sol & Ypkg 3

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Solus Plans For A Busy 2019 With Budgie 10.5/11, Solus 4, Sol & Ypkg 3

Phoronix: Solus Plans For A Busy 2019 With Budgie 10.5/11, Solus 4, Sol & Ypkg 3

The Solus project has laid out some of their grand plans for the year from their GTK-based Budgie desktop environment to seeing the release of the highly anticipated Solus 4 Linux distribution to working on new software components further out in the year...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Funny, I didn't realize Solus had its own package format. I thought they were another Debian derivative.

My armchair quarterback understanding of the situation is that the killer feature in package systems is reproducible builds. For that, Nix and its Scheme-oriented clone Guix are on the cutting edge. It's not clear to me what this Solus packaging system, Voidlinux's xbps, or Arch's package format offer over good old apt/.deb and yum+dnf/.rpm.

Comment

Originally posted by Michael_S View Post
      Funny, I didn't realize Solus had its own package format. I thought they were another Debian derivative.

My armchair quarterback understanding of the situation is that the killer feature in package systems is reproducible builds. For that, Nix and its Scheme-oriented clone Guix are on the cutting edge. It's not clear to me what this Solus packaging system, Voidlinux's xbps, or Arch's package format offer over good old apt/.deb and yum+dnf/.rpm.
      Simpler and faster. As an example, Arch Linux's format is merely a root tree and a package info file.

Comment

Originally posted by tildearrow View Post

Simpler and faster. As an example, Arch Linux's format is merely a root tree and a package info file.
        RPM packages too.
        Also DEB packages (in data.tar.xz inside .deb).

Comment

I really liked Solus and Budgie as I tried it out last year. But during that year they did miss several of their release goals and also had to deal with Ikey leaving the project. As a result their project progressed not as fast as I would have liked it to see. Also some Gnome/compositor-related bugs prevented me from playing some games which ran fine on KDE distros. And you couldn't disable the compositor on Solus. Another point for me was that there was no easy way to build the Kernel with custom compiler flags from source (that is way easier on RPM and DEB based distributions as there is a build target in the upstream Kernel source that generates easy to install and maintain packages). At least I couldn't figure it out with their package builder (altering the yaml file was possible but keeping it up to date would fail if that file was altered before). I wish them all the best for 2019 and their roadmap!

Comment

Originally posted by ms178 View Post
            I really liked Solus and Budgie as I tried it out last year. But during that year they did miss several of their release goals and also had to deal with Ikey leaving the project. As a result their project progressed not as fast as I would have liked it to see. Also some Gnome/compositor-related bugs prevented me from playing some games which ran fine on KDE distros. And you couldn't disable the compositor on Solus.
            Hopefully now that they are past the chaotic period of Ikey going awol, development can move along quicker

Originally posted by ms178 View Post
            lso some Gnome/compositor-related bugs prevented me from playing some games which ran fine on KDE distros. And you couldn't disable the compositor on Solus.
            The MATE version allows you to disable compositing. There's also a KDE version of solus in the works, but it hasn't gotten a stable release yet (you can get the testing ISO from the link here: https://getsol.us/2018/10/24/shiny-delights/)
            Last edited by bwat47; 14 January 2019, 07:02 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by tildearrow View Post

Xbps package manager for Void Linux has something like that. It's the fastest package manager I've used. Void is a cool distro, I should fire it up again.

Comment

Weird. Last time I read they were going to rewrite Budgie in Qt?

Comment

what about giving us a modern file system with cow in case of cold reboots and shit? =)
                  hello 2019, hello btrfs!

Comment

Still nothing about KDE Plasma?
                    I was waiting for that version, otherwise, I'm not interested.

Comment

Working...
                    X