Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Debian 10 "Buster" Working To Have UEFI SecureBoot In Good Shape

Phoronix: Debian 10 "Buster" Working To Have UEFI SecureBoot In Good Shape

While most major Linux distributions have been supporting UEFI SecureBoot for years already in order to work nicely on modern locked-down (generally Windows pre-loaded) PCs, Debian stable releases have yet to properly support SecureBoot but that should be changing with this year's release of 10.0 Buster...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Who on earth installs Debian stable on a notebook or otherwise SecureBoot-ed PC?

Comment

Originally posted by lucrus View Post
      Who on earth installs Debian stable on a notebook or otherwise SecureBoot-ed PC?

Actually I have Debian stable running on my main gaming system + 2 laptops. The laptops aren't very good at gaming so there's not much need for cutting edge.

Comment

Is there a way to sign the initramfs? Asking for Arch specifically, but could be anything. Right now, this is one of the only loopholes I have on my work computer's boot process. Someone could replace it and sniff my HDD decryption passphrase, for instance.

I know I could use the TPM to store a decryption key, but that doesn't address other stuff that could be done with the initramfs.

Comment

Originally posted by debianxfce View Post
          Secure boot is microsofts idea to prevent run anything else than windows in your PC. Disable it in the Bios and use MBR partitions for easy disk cloning.
          You can do better - sign the entire kernel and boot it directly as an EFI application, see: https://github.com/andreyv/sbupdate

With that you can have the encryption keys in TPM protected even with PCRs: https://aur.archlinux.org/packages/m...-tpm2-encrypt/

Comment

Originally posted by debianxfce View Post
            use MBR partitions for easy disk cloning.
            GPT works fine with all disk cloning tools, don't post bullshit.

Comment

Originally posted by starshipeleven View Post
              Remember, it's debianxfce, so all comments about his posts are waste of time.

Comment

I have a feeling Debian 10 is going to be a great release. Not just because of this.

Comment

Originally posted by towo2099 View Post
                  Remember, it's debianxfce, so all comments about his posts are waste of time.
                  It depends from the goal. Convincing debianxfce is a waste of time.

But bs has to be called as such, that's the only way others will not eventually believe them as true. This is not a waste of time.

Comment

Originally posted by starshipeleven View Post
                    Don't post bullshit, be debianxfce. Pick one!

Comment

Working...
                    X