Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Fedora 30 Is Planning To Go With Golang 1.12

Phoronix: Fedora 30 Is Planning To Go With Golang 1.12

The latest change/feature proposal is to ship Fedora 30 with Go 1.12...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Why?

The way I understand "ship with" that means part of the initial install. I just don't see the demand really. Put Golang in the repro where it belongs and those people actually using it can install all the related files.

Comment

Originally posted by wizard69 View Post
      Why?

The way I understand "ship with" that means part of the initial install. I just don't see the demand really. Put Golang in the repro where it belongs and those people actually using it can install all the related files.
      Last time I checked, Go isn't installed by default, but you can install it using dnf. If the Go version shipped by the distribution ends up lagging behind (which can happen on Fedora too), you can install a newer version using gimme.

Comment

Originally posted by tichun
        Because fedora is a workstation and not desktop operating system. Go for ubuntu/mint/elementary/arch/deepin/neon etc. as those are catering towards desktop users.
        So based on the TIOBE index Google's Go is number 15... which means if that is in the Fedora "Workstation" base then you will also need:

Java (6, 7, 8+)
        C, C++ (LLVM, GCC)
        Python (2.x, 3.x)
        Visual Basic .NET, C# (mono, ,.net core)
        JavaScript (all the browsers, all the headless interpreters)
        PHP (all of em)
        SQL (MySQL, Postgres)
        Objective-C (1 and 2)
        Delphi/Object Pascal (Free Lazarus)
        Assembly language (Everything for every architecture)
        MATLAB (Octave... perhaps even Wine in base in case the developer does have a MATLAB license)
        Swift

Nice, bloated and inelegant. Just like a typical Linux

No. Just because it is a workstation, doesn't mean you need niche cruft installed. If anything to maintain determinism and sanity, development workstations should have *less* packages than consumer / desktops.

Though based on feedback from collegues, due to Gnome 3, no-one really installs base Fedora these days, they pretty much always do a minimal "X11" install and then add Mate or Xfce. So Fedora can add whatever they like to base and no-one will notice. I think this is also what screws up their package surveys and leads them to make daft choices like this (chucking more crap into base).
        Last edited by kpedersen; 04 January 2019, 11:09 AM.

Comment

Working...
        X