Debian CoC Applies To Planet Debian Blog Posts & Other Updated Rules

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

"try not to annoy people"
    WTF? One the best types of blog posts have been rant posts. These posts call out several people/groups/ their agendas/decisions etc. at the same time being very very constructive. Then all rant posts are out?

Comment

Originally posted by moilami View Post
      This is soon a rare free place in Internet. Cheers for Michael.
      Absolutely. I think it works really well because there's no method to upvote or downvote posts, or have sponsored/editor picked posts; the nature of this community tends to lend itself toward actual intellectual discussion rather than group-think "look at me I am so smart" types of comments. Reddit or even Arstechnica's comment voting systems come to mind. "Likes" here are mostly meaningless, and should stay that way.

Actually, I think that's the biggest distinction between a simple bulletin board and social media -- social media includes platform interference in what is shown. Here, you can't even ignore people which is probably for the best.

EDIT:
      And phoronix dosn't get the attention from big corps so no one comes in to try to regulate it (or Michael has been good at keeping them out).
      Last edited by fuzz; 04 January 2019, 11:49 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by fuzz View Post
        Here, you can't even ignore people which is probably for the best.
        I ignore troll accounts like BeardedGNUFreak and Redfoxmoon all the time. Don't need the forum to do it for me when I can simply see the posters alias and then immediatly skip to the next post 😀

Comment

Originally posted by Brisse View Post

I kind of like it when people are free to make fools of themselves and their posts stay up there as evidence for anyone to see, but I've also seen a few clear rule violations which should have been moderated but never was.
          Why would have been moderated? Is it like indirect revenge by someone who got "offended"?

Comment

When I found Internet the biggest thing at that time was Usenet newsgroups, where people were able to talk freely. Many preferred to use their real names, but some already saw that because of thought police detectives anonymity guarantees better freedom of speech. I was fascinated, for once a place where discussions don't have to be like when your momma/daddy/spouse are hanging around. That was the most favored and celebrated feature of Internet.

Why that biggest feature of Internet must be destroyed?

Comment

Originally posted by Brisse View Post

I ignore troll accounts like BeardedGNUFreak and Redfoxmoon all the time. Don't need the forum to do it for me when I can simply see the posters alias and then immediatly skip to the next post 😀
              That says a lot about you. The "Anyone I don't like is a troll!!!" mentality is truly toxic (of course the word has lost all meaning due to people like this)

Comment

moilami Usenet is still alive and well. People go there to pirate stuff and trade illegal drugs amongst other things. Then there's always the dark web and the deep web if you fancy that sort of thing. It's hard to take a statement like "Why that biggest feature of Internet must be destroyed?" [sic] when it's really not. The web is constantly evolving though, but just because some parts of it is trying to clean up it's act doesn't mean those parts that you miss so much are going away. Maybe try reddit, or even 4chan and then come back and tell me again that you can't talk freely on the internet, okay? I think those websites will be right up your alley.

Comment

Originally posted by JAYL View Post

Yeah, it's really funny seeing all these snowflakes come out of the woodwork and get triggered. It's especially funny because they don't even understand free speech. I can not fathom how someone can get so upset about a community implementing rules that they want. They don't realize that THEY are dictating how Debian/these communities should get act or what kind of speech they should express.

Debian is their own community and they can do what they want. I honestly don't see what the big deal is. If you don't like it join a different community. It'd be like complaining about free speech if you spam the phoronix forums with bodybuilding posts and get banned. Every community has rules and it's not a free speech violation if you don't follow them and get banned from the community.

Edit: speaking of rules Michael Is there a FAQ or rule post somewhere for posting on the forums? I'm just a little worried because I've been participating a lot in these political posts recently and I want to make sure I'm within the right guidelines/ethos of the community.

The problem is the culture of intimidation which prevents productive members of a community from voicing reasonable disagreement with said rules. The rules tend get more and more extreme until perfectly decent people are no longer welcome, all the while those people tacitly accept the changes because "it seems sorta reasonable I guess".

It's all well and good for there to be rules, but when the rules are made legalistic rather than intuitive, there is no longer any room for compromise. As far as I can tell there is rarely any mechanism for a redress of grievances or an appeal, and the standards by which you're judged (and the context in which they apply) is ever growing whether the words change or not.

I know that I and most people I know want less and less to do with any community which has implemented a code like this, because it almost invariably means that the community will devolve sooner or later into a tyranny led by the people who complain the most, rather than the people who contribute the most (not that these are always different people, but usually they are).
                  Last edited by microcode; 04 January 2019, 01:04 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by microcode View Post

, because it almost invariably means that the community will devolve sooner or later into a tyranny led by the people who complain the most,
                    I see a lot of complaining on here, I wonder which group of people you are referring to?

Comment

Originally posted by Machine View Post
                      I see a lot of complaining on here, I wonder which group of people you are referring to?
                      Say what you will, I'm not here to stir the pot and pick on people like you seem to be. I'd call what I'm doing here opining, since at the end of the day I haven't invested much in the Debian community; it's not quite my problem, but in my opinion it's a very bad idea!

It's pretty hilarious to me that the greatest advocates for these codes of conduct tend to conduct themselves like bullies whenever they're challenged. No decent person is confused as to the type of person who believes in this crap; that all of humanity is fallen... except them! That they are the evolved form, the anointed who will solve everything by imposing their will through a campaign of snide bullying.
                      Last edited by microcode; 04 January 2019, 03:50 PM.

Comment

Working...
                      X