Fedora 30 Planning To Enable Python Generators By Default

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Michael_S View Post
    My intuition is that the most disciplined languages with the most sophisticated type systems would have conquered every space in our industry except bleeding edge performance decades ago. And here we are, with PHP as the most popular server side language on the web and Javascript/Node and Python as wildly popular. My intuition was wrong.
    That's super interesting because I don't find it intuitive at all. For me, maximum expressiveness and flexibility would naturally be more popular. A sophisticated type system is just more distracting detail that you have to carry around in your head in addition to the problem at hand. It gets in the way of just trying things out when you are likely not going to keep the system around anyway. I think there is an underlying difference in personality that results in people favoring either systems programming or web development. Newer languages seem to be trying to bridge the gap by offering type systems but not making them mandatory.

Originally posted by Luke_Wolf View Post
    Javascript effectively has a monopoly on client side scripting on the web, and so it has become a golden hammer for web devs, regardless of it's quality or lack thereof.
    And how do you think it acquired that monopoly? It was and is the best language for the job. I'd love to see how the future of compile-to-js works out though. Hopefully there is a way to make everyone happy. (including me, as I'd like to be able to write lisp also)

Comment

Originally posted by BeardedGNUFreak View Post
      Garbage language used by garbage tier programmers.

I've had to replace some dimwitted twenty year old's Python infrastructure code too many times over the years. It's like someone with a sick sense of humor decided it would be hilarious to bring the clusterfuck that is Javascript to scripting languages.
      What's a scripting language?

Comment

Originally posted by cynical View Post
        And how do you think it acquired that monopoly? It was and is the best language for the job. I'd love to see how the future of compile-to-js works out though. Hopefully there is a way to make everyone happy. (including me, as I'd like to be able to write lisp also)
        HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA

no.

Javascript has a monopoly because in the early days of The Web, Mozilla invented Javascript and from that point on was unwilling to provide language support other than through a shitty plugin API that Google has spent the past decade attempting to fix and get Mozilla to accept the fixes for which currently now exists as WebAssembly, With Google having also offered up the Dart language which Mozilla refused to even consider.

Javascript has a monopoly purely because of NIH.

Comment

I really really like Fedora 29 a lot. I got everything up and running that I needed, its a superb distro. However I could no get past the fact that after disabling everything that I did not want it consumed close to 800MB of ram using lightdm with xfce4. I was thinking you have to be joking I was trying to trim the fat as much as I could but I could not find the rest of it. That was without any apps loaded like steam or any browsers.
          Last edited by creative; 05 January 2019, 03:23 AM.

Comment

Working...
          X