Ubuntu Had A Very Busy 2018 But Not Everything Turned Out As Planned

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ubuntu Had A Very Busy 2018 But Not Everything Turned Out As Planned

Phoronix: Ubuntu Had A Very Busy 2018 But Not Everything Turned Out As Planned

There were a lot of accomplishments for Ubuntu users and developers in 2018 ranging from the successful 18.04 LTS release to Ubuntu shipping on more Dell systems to continuing to polish their GNOME Shell based desktop experience. But, also, there were a number of letdowns...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Originally posted by 144Hz View Post
    2017-2018 was a perfect rebound after the mir/unity8/upstart mistakes.
    Upstart was not a mistake. It served its purpose as a bridge to systemd.

Comment

Thanks for all the testing and articles! Ubuntu has been doing great lately, looking forward to the new year!

Comment

Originally posted by DanL View Post

Upstart was not a mistake. It served its purpose as a bridge to systemd.
        Depends on your viewpoint. If you never used Ubuntu or its derivates, obviously you didn't use it as a bridge. For example as a gentoo user I switched from sysvinit to init-ng and later to openrc.

Comment

Originally posted by caligula View Post

Depends on your viewpoint. If you never used Ubuntu or its derivates, obviously you didn't use it as a bridge. For example as a gentoo user I switched from sysvinit to init-ng and later to openrc.
          All the largest systems used Upstart, including RHEL and ChromeOS. It wasn't a failure by any possible metric, but then Red Hat developed Systemd, Debian chose to use it and Ubuntu followed Debian.

Comment

The community has ported Unity 8 to Ubuntu 18.04? How did I miss that!? In my age now I prefer to go only for super stable distributions and releases, thus I use Kubuntu 18.04 LTS which also based on KDE 5.12 LTS. Having said that, I loved Unity and I would definetly try 8 it if there is an easy way to install it.

Comment

Originally posted by jo-erlend View Post

All the largest systems used Upstart, including RHEL and ChromeOS. It wasn't a failure by any possible metric, but then Red Hat developed Systemd, Debian chose to use it and Ubuntu followed Debian.
              Well since the article and comments discuss desktop Linux, RHEL is a bit irrelevant here. Even RHEL only used upstart in a single release. Debian considered upstart but never adopted it as a default. Ubuntu and Fedora are popular but there are quite many other desktop distros too. https://i.redd.it/v1ayrktr4g901.jpg
              ChromeOS users are clueless noobs. What they use does not imply in any way what is good. Consider how trillions of flies like the smell of shit.

Comment

Originally posted by caligula View Post
                ChromeOS users are clueless noobs. What they use does not imply in any way what is good. Consider how trillions of flies like the smell of shit.
                Yet, last I checked ChromeOS has double the marketshare of "regular" desktop Linux. Clueless noobs or not, Google nailed many things with ChromeOS and the "regular" distros can hopefully learn from its success.

Comment

Originally posted by msotirov View Post
                  Yet, last I checked ChromeOS has double the marketshare of "regular" desktop Linux. Clueless noobs or not, Google nailed many things with ChromeOS and the "regular" distros can hopefully learn from its success.
                  That's certainly true.

Comment

Working...
                  X