Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Gentoo-Based Calculate Linux 18.12 Adds Btrfs Install Support With Zstd Compression

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Gentoo-Based Calculate Linux 18.12 Adds Btrfs Install Support With Zstd Compression

Phoronix: Gentoo-Based Calculate Linux 18.12 Adds Btrfs Install Support With Zstd Compression

The Gentoo-based Calculate Linux distribution is out with a final release before ringing in the new year...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

the other day installed #t2sde on an HP-PARISC Visualize w/ btrfs & zstd, just mount the roots compress=zstd and be done with that, amazing command line feature: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nqzp3V0-Sqc even works over a serial console, ..! ;-)

Comment

i'm not sure why anyone would want a binary gentoo... isn't that what rh/centos/deb/ubu are for?

Comment

Originally posted by some_canuck View Post
        i'm not sure why anyone would want a binary gentoo... isn't that what rh/centos/deb/ubu are for?
        I guess basing on Gentoo allows faster updates to newer stuff. Something like Arch or its derivatives.

There is also Sabayon linux which is a binary distro based on Gentoo.

Comment

there are plenty of reasons to serve binary packages w/ Gentoo. What makes Gentoo special is it's ability to only build certain features in to the libs/commands you are building. Why have to contend with the AUR (multiple instances of the same package), when you can just set a few flags in 'package.use/*' and have the software configured the way you want, with or without features.

Gentoo offers people far more control over their system build, its much easier to build kernels, imo, much more easier to do what ever you want with your system. The trade off is, you have to understand what it is you want, which is in itself a blessing.

Comment

Originally posted by pcxmac View Post
            there are plenty of reasons to serve binary packages w/ Gentoo. What makes Gentoo special is it's ability to only build certain features in to the libs/commands you are building.
            Yeah but if they are provided by the distro as binary packages they are probably not really optimized nor specialized as they have to be able to work with all possible configurations.

Comment

Originally posted by some_canuck View Post
              faster to install, and when you need to customize some package, you can build it from source. if you feel like it, you can switch to pure gentoo from it entirely.

to me, it's a hassle-free way to get gentoo running without spending too much time on the actual installation.

Comment

Working...
              X