X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

There's always archlinux32.

Comment

@ #12, #15--

Yes, it was meant for you; sorry for the confusion.

But I'm curious--

"Edit: And it's debian based. It will not do..."

As a seeker of small, lightweight Linux distros also, I'm curious as to what I might be missing by choosing a Debian-based one

Comment

If i am not mistaken, 32 bit support is on the chopping block for Debian 10 too. I have more personal reasons to part ways with Debian.

Comment

Originally posted by Dedale View Post
          If i am not mistaken, 32 bit support is on the chopping block for Debian 10 too.
          I just installed Debian 10 32bit and everything works

From mini.iso, expert install, for just base you know... uses about 700 MB on HDD, about 50 MB RAM, caches about 100 MB and on top of that i dunno install what you want

Maybe text based web browser if you are low on RAM
          Last edited by dungeon; 21 December 2018, 02:12 PM.

Comment

Impressive. I am glad to be proven wrong. Thank you.

Comment

It's always sad to see support for older architectures go away. But as Ubuntu 18.04 will still get support for 10 years ( will April 2028 ) I guess this is the best time to drop support.

Comment

A few weeks ago I revived my old Atom netbook with a new 32 bit distro (Linux Mint) and I was certainly glad it was available. I need a McDonalds fast food distro for a netbook, because compiling is ridiculous. It takes hours just to roll up a kernel now on that hardware. (90m for mine, but that's because I only enable what I want)

I had a 10 year old distro on that netbook and I didn't care because I mostly just use it for configuring routers and other network gear on site, but it got to the point where some of the newer devices have web interfaces that the browsers were too old for. Now I'm actually using it again for reading web pages while doing other things. It can play a movie alright too.

So no, I'm not in favour of dropping 32 bit support. I've still got a Pentium III computer here that I use for a file server (and backup dial-up connection, with an old ISA modem and iptables masquerading etc.) I likely won't be upgrading that though. It's probably the most reliable machine in house, it just sits there running headless, forever.

One of the things I proudly describe about Linux is that it doesn't obsolete older hardware unnecessarily.

Comment

It's about time!

Comment

Working...
                  X