Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

But, you didn't answer my question.

Comment

I've got a pleasant experience with Linux Mint, I had one problem during the upgrade from 18 to 19 because of the PPA I use for Mesa etc which forced me to do a fresh install, but apart from that, I find them trying to explore new UX features and that's refreshing. Looking at Gnome-shell which doesn't evolve... My favorite DE still is unity7 though.

Comment

I wish they had one mission in mind - Make things faster and lighter on the system.
        Mint still uses too many resources.

Comment

Originally posted by moilami View Post
          Sorry if this is offending question, but is Mint the same for Debian as what Samsung is to Android? I mean is it so that Mint only add some new UI software and some proprietary software?
          And what exactly is Debian, if not a huge collection of software developed by people all over the world, *not* specifically for Debian - with a few exceptions? Adding to that collection of software is a good thing, regardless of the foundation and the distro using it as a base. And what the Mint team produces themselves is not proprietary. The proprietary thins are there for people who otherwise can't install or use their operating system without tinkering, just like Debian offers non-free ISO images.

Originally posted by danmcgrew View Post
          Mint linux is now just Ubuntu with a cinnamon UI and now with much worse user help, even from the owner. You may as well use Ubuntu and add cinamon. The mint group has gotten lazy. Now they just pass along what they get from ubuntu and add some bugs of their own and then say they cant reproduce the bug your reporting. get Ubuntu if you want any help with problems. welcome to the New Mint.
          Maybe you don't know, but Mint comes with more software than just Cinnamon. And as most software has bugs, adding more software means adding more bugs, whatever the base and add-on software is. In this regard Ubuntu adds a lot of bugs on top of Debian, and Ubuntu-based distros add even more bugs to their foundation. And that doesn't mean Debian doesn't have bugs and issues. And by lazy I don't know what you mean. Cinnamon has gotten better, the X-Apps are actually better than I hoped, and they actually listen to feedback and do as much as they can. But if you think it's a good idea to compare the amount of wishes and feature requests to their output, then I can tell you that you're mistaken to do so. The more popular an OS becomes, the more people come with ideas and requests. Their team has limited resources, so don't judge their output based on the input of their users. All they can do is prioritize and do what makes more sense.

Originally posted by danmcgrew View Post
          As of today Mint is #3 or #4 on distro watch. 7Day average. It will go lower. Lookat where the once upon a time #1, ubuntu is for a good look at mint's future.
          Look at what the industry supports the most: mostly Red Hat Enterprise Linux and Ubuntu. And Ubuntu has the biggest install base, with Mint closely behind it. I really doubt Arch and Arch-based distros would use the Ubuntu user agent to identify themselves in all the browsers, so that the stats websites think Ubuntu is more popular. As for DistroWatch's statistics, they only reflect 1 click per IP address per distro page accessed during a 24-hours interval (details). Those visits can be organic or fabricated, but it really doesn't mean anything regarding the actual usage of GNU/Linux distros. So don't use those numbers to refer to as the actual market share.

Originally posted by Royi View Post
          I wish they had one mission in mind - Make things faster and lighter on the system.
          Mint still uses too many resources.
          Indeed, I'd also like Mint to use less resources. Not that other distros don't use plenty of RAM, some even more, but some require less. The good thing is they care about performance and resources, which is reflected every now and then in various performance improvements in Cinnamon, Nemo, their X-Apps, Update Manager and what not. I hope they'll be able to score some RAM savings in the future. Surely it's very easy to wish for this, but it's harder to accomplish.

Comment

Originally posted by kneekoo View Post
            Indeed, I'd also like Mint to use less resources. Not that other distros don't use plenty of RAM, some even more, but some require less. The good thing is they care about performance and resources, which is reflected every now and then in various performance improvements in Cinnamon, Nemo, their X-Apps, Update Manager and what not. I hope they'll be able to score some RAM savings in the future. Surely it's very easy to wish for this, but it's harder to accomplish.
            I don't see real performance improvement in Mint 19.0 / Mint 19.1.
            I would like the OS to be focused less on features and more on robustness, using less resources and simplicity.
            Leave everything else to applications.

Comment

Originally posted by Royi View Post
              I don't see real performance improvement in Mint 19.0 / Mint 19.1.
              I would like the OS to be focused less on features and more on robustness, using less resources and simplicity.
              Leave everything else to applications.
              What is "the OS"? Most components are not made by the Mint team.

Comment

Originally posted by Weasel View Post
                What is "the OS"? Most components are not made by the Mint team.
                You're right.
                Hence, to the least, I'm talking on their share - Cinnamon.

Comment

@ #15

"I don't see real performance improvement in Mint 19.0 / Mint 19.1..."

There's a really good reason for this--there IS no performance improvement in Mint 19/Mint 19.1; only more 'features'.
                  There was no performance improvement in Mint 18/18.1/18.2/18.3, either; only more 'features'.
                  The last rock-solid, bug-free Mint was Mint 17.3---1400 MB vs. 1800 MB PLUS 'systemd', for v. 18/ 18.1..., and 1900 MB, plus 'systemd', for v. 19/19.1.
                  Nothing deterministic here; simply a pesky 'coincidence'. Right, brain-dead fanboys?
                  'Thinking' is simply too much trouble, and "work'--as in "remembering as far back as one version ago"--is a nasty four-letter word, to people who cannot be bothered by facts.
                  Get a Chromebook, all you fanboys of any stripe: maybe, just maybe, it's not too technically advanced for you. But then again...

Comment

Originally posted by rbmorse View Post
                    So which distribution do you hold up as the paragon of light and virtue so that us poor, ignorant, and misguided fools who successfully run our businesses and lives with PC systems happily running the mediocre and undesirable Linux Mint might make the switch? Inquiring fabois want to know.
                    #11---"But, you didn't answer my question."

See #18 for your answer, particularly the parts about "thinking", "too much trouble", and "work".
                    An ounce of hard work and critical thinking, mixed with actual experience, is an excellent replacement for a ton of whining and display of laziness.

Get a Chromebook; stay away from serious forums.

Comment

Originally posted by kneekoo View Post
                      And what exactly is Debian, if not a huge collection of software developed by people all over the world, *not* specifically for Debian - with a few exceptions? Adding to that collection of software is a good thing, regardless of the foundation and the distro using it as a base. And what the Mint team produces themselves is not proprietary. The proprietary thins are there for people who otherwise can't install or use their operating system without tinkering, just like Debian offers non-free ISO images.
                      Well, debian derivatives, including derivates of Ubuntu, are great things. They can fix things crazies in debian break.

Comment

Working...
                      X