Ubuntu's Dock CPU Usage To Be Lowered By A Third, Other Perf Fixes Inbound

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ubuntu's Dock CPU Usage To Be Lowered By A Third, Other Perf Fixes Inbound

Phoronix: Ubuntu's Dock CPU Usage To Be Lowered By A Third, Other Perf Fixes Inbound

The GNOME-based Ubuntu desktop continues being tuned for better performance...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

And Nvidia itself works on EGLStreams for KDE5, if lucky next year both desktops will work on Wayland on Nvidia's driver. Finally. Although no word on nvdec decoding working on Wayland.

Comment

It looks like GNOME 3.32 is going to be a good release with the theme and performance fixes. My gnome-shell usage right now sits at around ~210MB, compared to 1GB+ a year ago.

It's a shame this performance work wasn't started before Canonical decided to adopt GNOME.

Comment

Most notably, an Ubuntu Dock performance fix is pending that shaves off a third of GNOME Shell's CPU usage for maximized windows. The change is about avoiding the repainting process for the dock as long as the contents are unchanged. This particularly helps when windows may be touching the dock but the dock's contents go unchanged.
        I'm honestly surprised it took them this long to implement that sort of demand-oriented repainting optimization. That used to be something standard that everyone was taught to keep in mind.

(I'm not even 35 yet. I didn't think I was that old.)

Comment

Originally posted by Britoid View Post
          It's a shame this performance work wasn't started before Canonical decided to adopt GNOME.
          I think a lot of it was that gjs was using ancient versions of spidermponkey This year they managed to catch up and support the latest supported release, which also gave them the improvements recently made by Mozilla.

On top of that this year there has been work done on specifically on performance and issues were discussed at the performance hackfest.

Comment

I don't use Ubuntu dock, I use Dash-to-panel.
            But the best usability and interface is Windows 10.

Comment

Gnome is seriously starting to p.. me off. Running a youtube video will pretty much make any desktop UI (Dash-to-dock, Applications menu) unusable. Will take seconds to take any any input, not show at all or might block the mouse pointer.
              I think this issue is limited to Wayland, but using X11 with 2 monitors with different DPI is even more (and fundamentally) broken.

Took them months to fix the random crashes in Nautilus as well, and now after the fix Nautilus is ridiculously slow for searches.

Comment

For once I find myself agreeing with debianxfce. Terrible usability and interface was one of the main reasons I stopped using Windows. The start menu is full of ads these days. Yuck.

Comment

Originally posted by debianxfce View Post
                  You shutdown win 10 and it does not shutdown because it is updating. And so on.
                  Um.. That's a good thing... I've seen broken Linux installs due to loosing power during updates (which OSTree fixes), yes it's relatively easy to fix but it's not something the average joe should have to do.

Comment

Originally posted by debianxfce View Post

I could not even see what I was typing to the terminal when I tested ubuntu 18.04 live with my 4K display. No built in tools to change to the hdpi theme and increase the font size. The 28" start menu is too much too, finding applications is humiliating without categories.
                    It has in built in scaling settings (random old screenshot):

Comment

Working...
                    X