180+ Benchmarks On Debian GNU/Linux 9.6 Against Debian Buster Testing

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 180+ Benchmarks On Debian GNU/Linux 9.6 Against Debian Buster Testing

Phoronix: 180+ Benchmarks On Debian GNU/Linux 9.6 Against Debian Buster Testing

There is the release of Debian 10 "Buster" to look forward to (hopefully) next year for succeeding Debian 9 "Stretch" that debuted back in 2017. Curious about the current performance of Debian Buster, I ran 183 benchmarks on Debian 9.6 stable against the current Debian Buster Testing images for seeing how the performance compares.

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Looks good. Anyway, Stretch is the first version of Debian I haven't been in a hurry to upgrade. Guess that means Debian is finally good enough.

Comment

Originally posted by debianxfce View Post

Debian "stable" uses 2.5 years old and buggy software. Debian testing is much better, you can use all packages from Debian repositories and Oibaf ppa too. There is less bugs in testing too.

" Number concerning the current stable release: 799
      Number concerning the next release: 702
      "

Gnome3 desktop is horrible with full screen start menu. Full screen start menu is fine in 6 inch display mobile devices, but not over that. Xfce Whisker menu is the best.
      Debian xfce, just try some other distro before talking about buggy software... Or that weed isn't gooood

Comment

Debian "stable" uses 2.5 years old and buggy software. Debian testing is much better, you can use all packages from Debian repositories and Oibaf ppa too. There is less bugs in testing too.

"

Gnome3 desktop is horrible with full screen start menu. Full screen start menu is fine in 6 inch display mobile devices, but not over that. Xfce Whisker menu is the best.
        While I agree with you on Gnome 3 / XFCE , I do *not* agree with you regarding Debian stable vs testing. While testing is good and my preferred choice for desktop I never keep my servers on other than stable (except sometimes when Debian is close to releasing the next stable). The number of bugs tells you NOTHING about the quality of the system, it is the severity of the bug that counts and what packages are affected.

What would you prefer? a SSH implementation with 100 bugs where all of them are typos and none of them are security related at all, or a SSH implementation with 1 bug that allows any jackass to log in to your systems by replacing your password with a blank space? In some cases 100 bugs are much better than 1 bug.

Now this is a forum where everybody (me included) sometimes makes mistakes and make a fool of ourselves from time to time. Sometimes it is wise to keep quiet and sometimes it is wise to acknowledge ones mistakes, other times it is wise to clear up what you meant. I think that your comments requires only two of these three elements: acknowledge the mistake and keep quiet.

http://www.dirtcellar.net

Comment

edmon, just install Debian testing and sid packages to "stable". Then you are repairing and reinstalling your "stable" system. "stable" users wait for years for bug fixes and new features.
          Did you ever tried to install package from RedHat 7 to RedHat 6 ?!?!? At least Debian provides easy major versions upgrade! Stable is for stable . Testing is for testing. If you want new features and bug fixes compile new packages versions by yourself. You know like # debian/rules binary ....

Comment

*reads thread*
            Damn, I need a 10 foot pole for this thread, but It is nice to see Debian coming along.

Comment

"

We use mathematics what is more than 2000 years old, and still good. If code is two years old it is not an issue, unless there is issues. I wonder how much there is more than 5 years old code in Linux kernel of Gnome? Or in other software? Most of the software is years old. It is not an issue. It is a feature of software engineering. Code does not rot.

Those numbers about bugs in testing and stable are not the whole truth. There can be less bugs in testing because there has been much less people finding bugs and much less time to find bugs. Also security updates are arguably better in stable. And last but not least, stable is like a rock, it does not change much. It is ok for me to update my system every two years. What I don't tolerate is single boot to console to fix something caused by an update, even if it only took a minute. Stable works like a charm for me.

Comment

Why has nobody mentioned that you should never use software from an Ubuntu PPA in Debian?

Especially not to replace a system component.

If you want newer software in Debian, and it's not in the backports, consider using Testing, but never use an Ubuntu PPA. This has been listed on the Don't Break Debian page on the Wiki for years now because it just keeps coming up no matter what. People break their system doing all kinds of nutty things and then they get to keep both pieces.

Comment

Working...
                X