Fedora Developers Are Trying To Figure Out The Best Linux I/O Scheduler

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Fedora Developers Are Trying To Figure Out The Best Linux I/O Scheduler

Phoronix: Fedora Developers Are Trying To Figure Out The Best Linux I/O Scheduler

Fedora developers are working on trying to figure out the best default behavior moving forward for their I/O scheduler selection...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

At the end they'll come up with an own implementation made by the systemd guys.

Comment

There was a debate on the Kernel mailing list about who should actually decide on the default and which it should be. The Kernel developers should at least in theory have an information bonus as they are the ones developing and testing these schedulers in the first place. But appearently there is not a single best solution for all workloads and use cases and I wonder how this could be handled best.
      Last edited by ms178; 14 December 2018, 01:29 PM.

Comment

It is best to have 2 default schedulers: one for classic hard disks and one for SSD's.

Comment

Originally posted by Candy View Post
          At the end they'll come up with an own implementation made by the systemd guys.
          It will be great.

Comment

Or for server/database and desktop workflow.

Comment

What are the commands for examining the current configuration, and changing the selection?

Comment

Originally posted by xorbe View Post
                What are the commands for examining the current configuration, and changing the selection?
                Code:
                dmesg | grep sched
                io scheduler noop registered
                io scheduler deadline registered
                [B]io scheduler cfq registered (default)[/B]
                Shows you the ones available (I don't build them all) and the "default" is the one in use unless overridden.

To change i/o schedulers, you do it on the kernel command line with the elevator=schedulername parameter

It can also be done per-disk, for example, for /dev/sda

Code:
                echo 'schedulername' > /sys/block/sda/queue/scheduler
                Where schedulername is one of the available i/o schedulers.

P.S. You can query that with:

Code:
                cat /sys/block/sda/queue/scheduler
                It will return something like:

Code:
                noop deadline (cfq)
                With the one in brackets being the one in use.
                Last edited by Grogan; 14 December 2018, 04:50 PM. Reason: Damned bbcode stripping stuff out

Comment

Originally posted by reavertm View Post
                  Or for server/database and desktop workflow.
                  The thing is not that easy, though...

We have...

A) one sequential read
                  B) several sequential reads
                  C) one non-sequential read
                  D) many non-sequential reads (that might turn out to be some As and Bs)
                  E) one sequential write (that might invalidate an A, B, C or D)
                  F) several sequential writes
                  G) one non-sequential write
                  H) many non-sequential writes (that might turn out trigger an E)

It's all not that easy...

Given what we have today in either a) choice and b) tunables given for each scheduler it's a good experience we are "complaining" about...

Comment

The great thing would be to give users a graphical tool where they can select what they want.
                    host image free

Comment

Working...
                    X