Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Free Software Foundation Endorses Arch-based Hyperbola GNU/Linux

Phoronix: Free Software Foundation Endorses Arch-based Hyperbola GNU/Linux

The Free Software Foundation today came out with an endorsement of Hyperbola GNU/Linux to the organization's small list of recommended Linux distributions...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

The irony here is that Arch is intended to be a pragmatic and non-ideological distro.

Comment

Originally posted by bachchain View Post
      The irony here is that Arch is intended to be a pragmatic and non-ideological distro.
      GNU has a very strong ideological standpoint though. They wouldn't recommend a non-ideological distro such as Arch.

Comment

Originally posted by miabrahams View Post

GNU has a very strong ideological standpoint though. They wouldn't recommend a non-ideological distro such as Arch.
        This is the FSF, not GNU. GNU is a software project. The FSF has a very strong ideological standpoint because that's its whole purpose. It exists to promote and advocate for free-as-in-freedom software. And they *do* endorse Arch.

In short you couldn't be more wrong.

Comment

I wish Arch would be little more open to integrate distributions like Parabola, the only thing they would need to do is to split the repositories so that you can differentiate between free and non free software. I'm not saying that Arch should become GNU distribution, this would be quite impossible with the current firmware, but a little more transparency in the repositories wouldn't be wrong from my point of view and it would decrease the need for own distributions, Parabola could then be just like a Wiki entry :-)

Comment

Originally posted by R41N3R View Post
            I wish Arch would be little more open to integrate distributions like Parabola, the only thing they would need to do is to split the repositories so that you can differentiate between free and non free software. I'm not saying that Arch should become GNU distribution, this would be quite impossible with the current firmware, but a little more transparency in the repositories wouldn't be wrong from my point of view and it would decrease the need for own distributions, Parabola could then be just like a Wiki entry :-)
            So, a not-insignificant amount of developer work for a feature that adds nothing to the vast majority of their users.

Comment

Originally posted by jacob View Post

This is the FSF, not GNU. GNU is a software project. The FSF has a very strong ideological standpoint because that's its whole purpose. It exists to promote and advocate for free-as-in-freedom software. And they *do* endorse Arch.
              FSF does specifically _not_ endorse Arch Linux and recommends to use Parabola instead:

Arch has the two usual problems: there's no clear policy about what software can be included, and nonfree blobs are shipped with their kernel, Linux. Arch also has no policy about not distributing nonfree software through their normal channels.

Instead of this nonfree distribution, use Parabola, the free distro which is made from it.

Originally posted by jacob View Post
              In short you couldn't be more wrong.
              I agree, _you_ couldn't be more wrong.

Comment

Originally posted by bachchain View Post
                I don't get the irony, this is a derivative.

Comment

The 3 users who use this will rejoice.

Comment

As an Arch user and a strong believer in what the FSF is doing I say "good for them". I'm not as fanatical but I also bless RMS and the FOSS gods every day for FSF and all the fanatics. We really need them. People don't realize how much better things are because there's this very vocal minority that's investing their time into being so fanatical about Free Software.

Comment

Working...
                    X