Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Void Linux, Solus, Manjaro, Antergos, Sabayon & Clear Linux Put To A Performance Battle

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Void Linux, Solus, Manjaro, Antergos, Sabayon & Clear Linux Put To A Performance Battle

Phoronix: Void Linux, Solus, Manjaro, Antergos, Sabayon & Clear Linux Put To A Performance Battle

Given last week's new images release of the rolling-release, systemd-free, original-creation Void Linux I decided to take it for a spin with some fresh benchmarking as it had been two years or so since last trying out that Linux distribution with its XBPS packaging system. For seeing how the performance compares, I benchmarked it against some of the other primarily enthusiast/rolling-release/performant Linux distributions including Antergos, Clear Linux, Debian Buster Testing, Fedora Workstation 29, Manjaro 18.0, Sabayon Linux, Solus, and Ubuntu 18.10.

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Other distros should really slap themselves and wake up to what clear linux is doing. The performance difference is downright incredible.

Comment

Originally posted by varikonniemi View Post
      Other distros should really slap themselves and wake up to what clear linux is doing. The performance difference is downright incredible.
      if one of these workloads is your main activity: sure.
      But in a normal desktop-environment, there is more to it than benchmarks/single workloads. A system can have good benchmarks but shitty responsiveness etc and it can be the other way round.
      I haven't tried clear linux, so i can't say if that is the case, but realisticly, there has to be a downside to the optimiziations, doesn't it?
      Never the less: it's impressive what can be done by optimizing!

Comment

Originally posted by Termy View Post
        I haven't tried clear linux, so i can't say if that is the case, but realisticly, there has to be a downside to the optimiziations, doesn't it?
        The only downside(s) I can think of at the moment - restricted cpu compatibility and you will not get all the packages you might need for a full scale desktop experience (only xfce).

Comment

One of the interesting takeaways from this comparison that started out with wanting to take a fresh look at Void Linux wasn't about Void itself but being surprised by the number of Debian Testing wins ahead of the Debian 10 "Buster" release next year. Debian Testing tends to be nice and bleeding-edge but keep in mind once hitting the stable series is when its performance benefits will fade with time.
          Well, that does not represents release really yet Test it once at least transitions are frozen, in about 2 months

It is still with glibc 2.27 and 2.28 needs to enter, kernel is not what will be, etc...

I am surprised too, but about else distros as Debian is usually as optimal as possible on flags at least, hardened... so should be something in the middle, thus expected to win nor to lose nothing
          Last edited by dungeon; 19 November 2018, 11:20 AM.

Comment

Why did you use gcc 6.4.0 on sabayon? That's the oldest version across all the distros tested. Maybe it would be better if it weren't gimped by an ancient compiler

Comment

Originally posted by some_canuck View Post
              Why did you use gcc 6.4.0 on sabayon? That's the oldest version across all the distros tested. Maybe it would be better if it weren't gimped by an ancient compiler
              True if you look up the date on http://www.linuxbenchmarking.com/?cl...-daily-tracker - clear linux was using gcc 7 around may 2017 - you can see clearly some jumps in the most of the benchmark data to better results. But the plots on this side for that old data are not nice...ufortunately it is not possible to define a specific range.

sabayon seems to be shipped with gcc-6.4 see https://packages.sabayon.org/quicksearch?q=gcc&x=0&y=0
              Last edited by CochainComplex; 19 November 2018, 11:48 AM.

Comment

Seem like the Sabayon result for the LAME WAV To MP3 benchmark has gotten lost somewhere as well.

Comment

Originally posted by CochainComplex View Post

The only downside(s) I can think of at the moment - restricted cpu compatibility and you will not get all the packages you might need for a full scale desktop experience (only xfce).
                  What are you talking about? KDE Plasma and GNOME Shell are also available: https://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?pa...inux-kde&num=1
                  Sure, that's still less overall choice than most other distros, but that at least makes 3 popular desktop environments, which should be plenty for most desktop users who want a DE.
                  Last edited by Vistaus; 19 November 2018, 01:23 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Termy View Post

if one of these workloads is your main activity: sure.
                    But in a normal desktop-environment, there is more to it than benchmarks/single workloads. A system can have good benchmarks but shitty responsiveness etc and it can be the other way round.
                    Never the less: it's impressive what can be done by optimizing!
                    That's one of the reasons I use Solus: it has relatively good benchmarks (thanks to using part of Clear's optimizations) and good responsiveness

Comment

Working...
                    X