Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Red Hat Enterprise Linux 8 Beta Released With Stratis, Yum 4, Application Streams

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Red Hat Enterprise Linux 8 Beta Released With Stratis, Yum 4, Application Streams

Phoronix: Red Hat Enterprise Linux 8 Beta Released With Stratis, Yum 4, Application Streams

The long-awaited public beta of Red Hat Enterprise Linux 8 is finally available!..

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

A surprise to be sure, but a welcome one. Glad to see IBM speeding up the release in just a few weeks since buyout.

Comment

Deal won't complete until at least the middle of next year. This is all Red Hat. That said, I do hope they don't lose focus with RHEL and with their sponsoring of Fedora.

Comment

I'm almost sure it will have dnf 4 - the same version as in F29. They actually bumped dnf from 2 to 4 with intention to change old yum-3 with dnf-4.

Comment

Originally posted by cen1 View Post
          A surprise to be sure, but a welcome one. Glad to see IBM speeding up the release in just a few weeks.
          Soon I will have a new Operating System, one far younger and more featured.

Comment

Why are they using yum instead of dnf?

Comment

Stratis is a big step back from the next generation filesystem we could have with forward looking designs, either btrfs or moving toward Cephfs has a general purpose filesystem even. Stratis is a 1980s filesystem on top of a 1980s block layer. When there is need for a versioning filesystem and git-like features to track changes being made to a filesystem, it seems that running xfs over lvm is quite a primitive and clumsy solution. Every minute change to a file requires a complete fork of the entire XFS filesystem. It sounds like this would be unwieldy if one just wants to track small changes to individual files or turn on versioning only for particular files.

It seems like Stratis is a nothingburger, anyone can just throw an XFS filesystem on top of an LVM. If your looking for per file versioning, its really going to be awkward. It would be much more natural and considered to be a better design to integrate these features such as versioning and snapshots into a filesystem that can natively support COW writes and natively track file versions, rather than rely on a block layer.

Instead of doing more wheel reinventing with Stratis, Red Hat could have helped wrap up loose ends with btrfs and gotten it ready for production use. That would give something which is much more flexible than Stratis.

Comment

Originally posted by jpg44 View Post
                Stratis is a big step back...
                Totally agree, couldn't be worse.

Comment

Originally posted by jpg44 View Post
                  Stratis is a big step back
                  Agree. I personally use ZFS on Linux, hopefully one day btrfs will be ready as well.
                  ## VGA ##
                  AMD: X1950XTX, HD3870, HD5870
                  Intel: GMA45, HD3000 (Core i5 2500K)

Comment

Kernel 4.18, sytemd239 - this looks like they "just" copied Fedora 29 repo.

Comment

Working...
                    X