Ubuntu 19.04 Development Starts Off With Python 3.7, Merged Usr Directories

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ubuntu 19.04 Development Starts Off With Python 3.7, Merged Usr Directories

Phoronix: Ubuntu 19.04 Development Starts Off With Python 3.7, Merged Usr Directories

Ubuntu 19.04 "Disco Dingo" development is now officially underway...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Yeah, Sid is usrmerged since this weekend, i guess there will be a lot of "fun" with issues about this during freeze

Comment

Is every new kernel release now going to be labeled as "what will probably be 5.0" or the like? It was wrong with 4.20 and it is of zero significance other that it might turn out to be wrong again. Just stick to the current versioning scheme until something else is announced, please.

Comment

Originally posted by GruenSein View Post
        Is every new kernel release now going to be labeled as "what will probably be 5.0" or the like? It was wrong with 4.20 and it is of zero significance other that it might turn out to be wrong again. Just stick to the current versioning scheme until something else is announced, please.
        Real reason we don't know is because Linus likes to be unpredictable Now of course Phoronix readers seems prefer early news so Semi-Accurate and that is another problem

He, he, since switch to 4.0 was in 2015 maybe switch to 5.0 will be in 2020... so Semi-Decadly

It does not matter really, even 4.0 was done just because and for no particular reason
        Last edited by dungeon; 13 November 2018, 12:15 PM.

Comment

Would people please stop messing around with directory layouts. Its pointless, its ridiculous, its useless, its a waste of time. Do something productive with your time like fix the fact that Linux does not have decent voice recognition. But moving around directories does absolutely nothing. Because of this nonsense it seems every Linux distribution has its own and constantly changes them. Just stay with the status quo and stick with it.

Comment

The stupid thing is with the new Code of Conduct, now is a more relevant time than ever to start a new version number, rather than "Linus feels the number is getting too big". IMO, these numbers should increment whenever there's a major change. Otherwise, they ought to be based on a date, which is far more practical anyway since you directly know how old a version is.

Comment

Originally posted by jpg44 View Post
              Would people please stop messing around with directory layouts. Its pointless, its ridiculous, its useless, its a waste of time. Do something productive with your time like fix the fact that Linux does not have decent voice recognition. But moving around directories does absolutely nothing. Because of this nonsense it seems every Linux distribution has its own and constantly changes them. Just stay with the status quo and stick with it.
              I totally agree. Not only is this confusing, but it can cause major breakages and makes the flavors of Linux even more fragmented than it already is (and that fragmentation is one of the core reasons we don't see commercial software).

Arch Linux did this whole /bin, /sbin, /usr/bin, etc symlink thing a few years ago and it rendered my system unbootable (I managed to get it up and running again without doing a fresh install, but it took a while since I basically had to reinstall half the packages through chroot). I would hope that Ubuntu would go about it a little better, but I have strong doubts. I could see how this is beneficial in the sense that in the future, it'll make the folder heirarchy a little more cleaned up, but the problem is that might not ever happen when you consider legacy software that will expect these folders to exist.

Comment

Originally posted by schmidtbag View Post
                IMO, these numbers should increment whenever there's a major change.
                But, there is no major changes to kernel - kernel is finished a long ago Even 4.0 was for nothin' and chicks for free

Nowdays they can do it only for marketing reasons. So, let say as this is People's Front maybe we could also start singing "Give me 5"

Last edited by dungeon; 13 November 2018, 12:36 PM.

Comment

usr merge was long overdue nice to see it happening finally

Comment

Originally posted by dungeon View Post
                    But, there is no major changes to kernel - kernel is finished a long ago Even 4.0 was for nothin' and chicks for free
                    Right, hence me saying the following:
                    Otherwise, they ought to be based on a date, which is far more practical anyway since you directly know how old a version is.

Comment

Working...
                    X