Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Debian 9.6 Released With Many Security & Bug Fixes, Adds In Rust's Cargo

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Debian 9.6 Released With Many Security & Bug Fixes, Adds In Rust's Cargo

    Phoronix: Debian 9.6 Released With Many Security & Bug Fixes, Adds In Rust's Cargo

    Debian 9.6 is out this weekend as the latest stable update to the Debian GNU/Linux "Stretch" series...

    http://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?pag...n-9.6-Released

  • #2
    OK, there are about 60 updates today on this mini debian openbox stretch system... and survived

    ~$: lsb_release -d
    Description: Debian GNU/Linux 9.6 (stretch)

    Comment


    • #3
      Point release software just generates news articles and is a waste of human resources. In the case of Debian "stable", you end up using years old buggy software.

      Comment


      • #4
        Originally posted by debianxfce View Post
        Point release software just generates news articles and is a waste of human resources. In the case of Debian "stable", you end up using years old buggy software.
        Ah yes, someone else who noticed that older a debian stable a release is, the more critical bugs it has. The writing is on the wall (or rather the bug graphs debian produce).

        I like to think of it as the thrift shop OS, lots of stuff on the shelves, just make sure you test it yourself, patch it yourself, file upstream bugs yourself, and sit in the debian channels. Which are *really* active, due to the above. Most of all don't forget to contribute some buggy packages yourself while trying to integrate with the tower, then make and abandon your own spin.

        And finally watch in awe as debian decimate the debian live team and wonder what to do about for years to come. And watch in horror as others still go down the rabbit hole.

        Comment


        • #5
          Originally posted by bofh80 View Post
          rabbit hole.
          You wrote a long story where I did not see a point. https://bugs.debian.org/release-critical/

          Number concerning the current stable release: 755
          Number concerning the next release: 626

          Conclusion: a stable distribution is a myth. Mythbusters could test that.

          Comment


          • #6
            Originally posted by debianxfce View Post
            Point release software just generates news articles and is a waste of human resources.
            Point release for stable here are cumulative updates for production system

            In the case of Debian "stable", you end up using years old buggy software.
            Stable means production, testing is testing, unstable is development... but you use unstable as trollment ready and that is your problem

            Comment


            • #7
              Originally posted by debianxfce View Post
              Number concerning the current stable release: 755
              Number concerning the next release: 626
              That tells me: the newer the SW you run, the greater the amount of unknown bugs.
              E: which really isn't anything new in this industry.

              Comment


              • #8
                Originally posted by debianxfce View Post

                You wrote a long story where I did not see a point. https://bugs.debian.org/release-critical/

                Number concerning the current stable release: 755
                Number concerning the next release: 626

                Conclusion: a stable distribution is a myth. Mythbusters could test that.
                Of course you don't I am sure you can find much better trolling systems than Debian unstable, so you could troll even more beautifully

                But sado-maso ego instincts are stronger than brainlessness, isn't it?
                Last edited by dungeon; 11-11-2018, 06:13 AM.

                Comment


                • #9
                  Originally posted by pmorph View Post
                  That tells me: the newer the SW you run, the greater the amount of unknown bugs.
                  E: which really isn't anything new in this industry.
                  You can break Debian "stable" easily, just install testing or sid packages. With Debian testing and sid you can use packages from the "stable" repository and many ubuntu ppas.

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Originally posted by debianxfce View Post
                    You can break Debian "stable" easily, just install testing or sid packages.
                    You could be faster than Usain Bolt if he drive child bicycle .You could break your head with a hammer too ...

                    With Debian testing and sid you can use packages from the "stable" repository and many ubuntu ppas.
                    Of course, you can also play your PlayStation while California is burning We will save pigs, but trolls nope

                    Last edited by dungeon; 11-11-2018, 06:58 AM.

                    Comment

                    Working...
                    X