Clear Linux Developers Weigh Supporting Snaps

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by jo-erlend View Post
    What I meant is that Flatpak requires a desktop session, hence making it mostly useful for desktop apps. I guess you _could_ use it for non-desktop stuff like a web server, adding desktop as a requirement to that web server, but it wouldn't make much sense.
    Wait, I thought "desktop session" is little more than a non-root user login made with logind or something, and does not require graphical support or even a DE. I wouldn't mind that on a server where I don't want to run things as root anyway.

Snap can install files to any location, as long as you permit it. In short, any software you're allowed to manually build and install on system, can be installed using Snap. The point I was responding to, was that people should use Flatpak for everything and get rid of Snap. That's not going to be possible, as Snap is used for more things than Flatpak is capable of. Now that we have package systems that can easily coexist for most things, I think wide support is a good thing. Not everything has to be a war.

By the way; this discussion is about a specific distro.
    The reason they are asking for Snap is to add third party applications to Clear Linux, not because they don't like its package manager, the ability to package Clear Linux kernel and OS components is not required by anyone as whatever is the package manager they use it can do that fine.

Being able to drop files anywhere and also not usually hosted in places enforcing sandboxing on the packages makes it pretty much crap from a security standpoint, which is one of the main reasons I'm strongly against Snap.

Comment

Originally posted by starshipeleven View Post
      Wait, I thought "desktop session" is little more than a non-root user login made with logind or something, and does not require graphical support or even a DE. I wouldn't mind that on a server where I don't want to run things as root anyway.

The reason they are asking for Snap is to add third party applications to Clear Linux, not because they don't like its package manager, the ability to package Clear Linux kernel and OS components is not required by anyone as whatever is the package manager they use it can do that fine.

Being able to drop files anywhere and also not usually hosted in places enforcing sandboxing on the packages makes it pretty much crap from a security standpoint, which is one of the main reasons I'm strongly against Snap.
      My point is that Snaps are going to be there because a lot of people need them, considering there are no other viable options for many use-cases. The vast majority of these users will favor Snap in other use-cases as well, because it's more comfortable to focus on one or two systems than three or more.

You say nobody has any use for a shared kernel and OS components between distros because all distros can manually compile and package kernels and OS components on their own? Why doesn't that argument apply to apps? Of course, kernel and OS components isn't the only thing Snap is suitable for that Flatpak is not. I don't see why you would want to package a LAMP stack as Flatpak, for instance, although I definitely see why you might want a long-term stable, cross-distro LAMP stack.

I'm completely unable to grok that last sentence. Unless you mean a system supervisor should not be allowed to put files where he wants to put them on his own computer, hence prohibiting the use of custom kernels, for instance?

Comment

Working...
      X