Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by gorgone View Post
    not for a long time
    because if this is removed and the tweak tool is broken for the hundredth time, it won't work anymore.
    GNOME Classic uses it afaik and since that's what is used in the Linux enterprise world I'd be shocked to see it go.

Comment

not for a long time
      because if this is removed and the tweak tool is broken for the hundredth time, it won't work anymore.
      I've been literary using this myself since gnome-3.0 and has always worked for me.

If something really is broken, file a bug, otherwise stop the fearmongering please.

Comment

The window control buttons dont need the tweak tool - though that makes it easier. they can be easily enabled or changed to show different arrangements.

As for pantheon, I hope that the person developing it for Fedora 30 is fully aware of what he is undertaking - Pantheon will be sticking to Ubuntu 18.04 libraries - Gnome 3.28 with a mixture of 3.26. Fedora libraries will be the latest and greatest released by Gnome. It could create issues for maintainership.

Comment

About minimizing and maximizing with the mouse (I like Super+Up/Down arrow much better), you can always right click anywhere in the title bar, hold the click and release in Minimize (first option) or Maximize (second option).

Comment

Originally posted by hansdegoede View Post
            If something really is broken, file a bug, otherwise stop the fearmongering please.
            i don't touch gnome with fingertips even if there are gloves over it

Comment

The best thing Phanteon must do is become an DE without based on Ubuntu, Elementary OS it's ok been like that. But they should focus on the DE, be more like KDE that way, any distro will like to give a try or easy to implement. If they need the elementary experience they should like KDE NEON. This will bring more ppl to use Phateon as DE.

Comment

Desktop environments are the least of my concern. I just use what is offered, for better or for worse.

The question maintainers should be asking themselves is whether there will even be a Fedora to maintain anymore now that IBM has acquired Red Hat.

Comment

i don't touch gnome with fingertips even if there are gloves over it
                  In that case, why do you even care?
                  Just leave the gnome fanboys alone and you have nothing to worry about anymore, problem solved!

Comment

Originally posted by profoundWHALE View Post
                    My issue with Pantheon is the same issue that I had with Gnome 3: the Titlebar controls.
                    I just hate having control taken away from me. If I wanted that, I would just get a mac.

I think the best up and coming DE right now is Deepin. It's been working well for me and has the most consistent feel to the UI.

Regardless, whatever Fedora does or doesn't do doesn't have much of an effect on my Debian-based distro.
                    For elementary/Pantheon there's a Tweak tool similar to GNOME's (idiotic to not include it in the DE settings in the first place, but at least it exists).
                    With it, position (left/right) of title bar controls (close, maximize, minimize and some more buttons I believe) can be adjusted to your liking. At least it was that way with elementary Freya. Didn't try the newer releases yet.

I agree completely on Deepin. Deepin and Pantheon are probably the only two DEs (including their file-managers and settings), where I wouldn't have to explain every single step certain not-so-technically-versed relatives of mine. (GNOME and Pantheon may have a certain overlap, but GNOME is just too slow on cheap tablet-like "notebooks").

As for pantheon, I hope that the person developing it for Fedora 30 is fully aware of what he is undertaking
                    I guess the AUR packages on Arch can give a reference concerning the required work, but I have never tested them myself nor looked into the code base.

Comment

Originally posted by Sonadow View Post
                      Desktop environments are the least of my concern. I just use what is offered, for better or for worse.

The question maintainers should be asking themselves is whether there will even be a Fedora to maintain anymore now that IBM has acquired Red Hat.
                      I would be incredibly surprised if they got rid of Fedora. They need somewhere to test new stuff before it goes into RHEL. Look at DNF: they'll have years of people using it in Fedora before it moves to Red Hat. Valuable time to iron out the bugs that they wouldn't have otherwise.

Comment

Working...
                      X