Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Elementary's Pantheon Desktop Update Proposed For Fedora 30

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Elementary's Pantheon Desktop Update Proposed For Fedora 30

    Phoronix: Elementary's Pantheon Desktop Update Proposed For Fedora 30

    Fedora Workstation 30 will continue to use the GNOME Shell by default (more than likely, GNOME 3.32) but adding to the list of alternative desktop environments could be the elementaryOS' Pantheon Desktop. Pantheon has been available for a few releases on Fedora, but this change proposal is about upgrading the desktop...

    http://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?pag...theon-Proposal

  • #2
    Neat, could see myself going back to Korora after this happens.

    Comment


    • #3
      We want a better/grater Gnome.. who wants a MacOS like desktop experience should start saving and buy a Mac.
      Why should we even support a project that decided to create their own Linux ecosystem where apps work only on their ecosystem?
      Maybe I got it wrong...
      Last edited by horizonbrave; 10-29-2018, 07:37 PM.

      Comment


      • #4
        GNOME is really good, but I don't like so much the Dash part of GNOME Shell.
        It feels like something for a tablet, not for a desktop. I much prefer the usability of the Windows 10 shell.

        With GNOME Shell I use the Dash to Panel extension.

        Comment


        • #5
          Originally posted by horizonbrave View Post
          We want a better/grater Gnome..
          "greater"

          Originally posted by horizonbrave View Post
          who wants a MacOS like desktop experience should start saving and buy a Mac.
          Says you, though it's not at all clear why.

          Originally posted by horizonbrave View Post
          Why should we even support a project
          In what way do you suggest you've been supporting Gnome? Are you a dev? Have you donated anything to the Gnome foundation? Something else? Or are you saying that they need your permission to work on Gnome?

          Originally posted by horizonbrave View Post
          that decided to create their own Linux ecosystem where apps work only on their ecosystem?
          Dafaq?

          Originally posted by horizonbrave View Post
          Maybe I got it wrong...
          Wow. Pretty ironic that this is the one thing that you got right.

          Comment


          • #6
            My issue with Pantheon is the same issue that I had with Gnome 3: the Titlebar controls. I want minimize, maximize, and close. Is that too much to ask for? I've tried plugins, but plugins interface in a way that can easily break the whole desktop which added to my problems.

            I just hate having control taken away from me. If I wanted that, I would just get a mac.

            I think the best up and coming DE right now is Deepin. It's been working well for me and has the most consistent feel to the UI.

            Regardless, whatever Fedora does or doesn't do doesn't have much of an effect on my Debian-based distro.

            Comment


            • #7
              Typo:

              Originally posted by phoronix View Post
              Earlier this month marked the release of elementaryOS 5.0 "June".

              Comment


              • #8
                Originally posted by profoundWHALE View Post
                My issue with Pantheon is the same issue that I had with Gnome 3: the Titlebar controls. I want minimize, maximize, and close. Is that too much to ask for? I've tried plugins, but plugins interface in a way that can easily break the whole desktop which added to my problems.

                I just hate having control taken away from me. If I wanted that, I would just get a mac.

                I think the best up and coming DE right now is Deepin. It's been working well for me and has the most consistent feel to the UI.

                Regardless, whatever Fedora does or doesn't do doesn't have much of an effect on my Debian-based distro.
                I figure that it's always faster to navigate between windows with hotkeys than by using the minimize, maximize, and close trio. I'm almost positive that's true.

                But I'm in the same situation you are. I've been using those three buttons in the top right corner of application windows for over twenty years (goddamn I'm getting old). Looking that way and navigating my mouse pointer there is part of muscle memory.

                I'm angry at myself for not being more flexible about this. I don't want to become like too damn many people who get used to one computing environment and then decide change is automatically bad and everything ever good about computing existed on some platform they learned ten years ago.

                Comment


                • #9
                  Originally posted by profoundWHALE View Post
                  My issue with Pantheon is the same issue that I had with Gnome 3: the Titlebar controls. I want minimize, maximize, and close. Is that too much to ask for? I've tried plugins, but plugins interface in a way that can easily break the whole desktop which added to my problems.
                  That is easily doable with stock GNOME3 (and has always been doable IIRC), no plugins needed. Start gnome-tweaks, select "Window Titlebars", then check / turn-on the "Maximize" and "Minimize" options, done.

                  Also I would not be surprised if this also works under Pantheon, but you may need to manually set the gsettings keys there.

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Originally posted by tildearrow View Post
                    That is easily doable with stock GNOME3 (and has always been doable IIRC), no plugins needed. Start gnome-tweaks, select "Window Titlebars", then check / turn-on the "Maximize" and "Minimize" options, done.
                    not for a long time
                    because if this is removed and the tweak tool is broken for the hundredth time, it won't work anymore.

                    Comment

                    Working...
                    X