System76 Pop!_OS Updated Against Ubuntu 18.10, Adds In Extra Changes

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• System76 Pop!_OS Updated Against Ubuntu 18.10, Adds In Extra Changes

Phoronix: System76 Pop!_OS Updated Against Ubuntu 18.10, Adds In Extra Changes

In addition to System76 being busy finishing up work on their new PC build factory in Denver and making their first foray into open-source hardware, they also continue working on Pop!_OS as their downstream of Ubuntu Linux with various features added in...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

I wonder why the underscore in the name.

Comment

Originally posted by tildearrow View Post
      To prove they dig the Unix way?

Comment

Originally posted by tildearrow View Post
        To make lazy people wonder? More seriously just click the link in the post your commented and you'll access their website where they make pretty clear that POP_OS is developper-centric.

Comment

I think they should call it Poop OS. I just don't find any justification to create yet another distribution.

Comment

I wanted to find the previous System76 article, then I realized this site doesn't have tags. Weird.

Comment

Installation of NVIDIA CUDA/cuDNN/TensorFlow with just a simple Apt command, system76-power configuration improvements, installer enhancements, and various visual tweaks.
              These are pretty cool, I hope all improvements that they made to power management gets merged upstream.

Comment

Aaaaand, it's still sluggish when it comes to animations. What was the "big animation performance optimization" in Gnome 3.30 all about? I certainly did not see any performance improvements. Sticking with Kubuntu for now.

Comment

Originally posted by sarmad View Post
                  Aaaaand, it's still sluggish when it comes to animations. What was the "big animation performance optimization" in Gnome 3.30 all about? I certainly did not see any performance improvements. Sticking with Kubuntu for now.
                  Most of the performance work got pushed back to gnome 3.32. Gnome 3.30 mainly just got the gjs memory leak fix

Comment

Working...
                  X