Ubuntu "User Statistics" Published, But It's A Letdown To Data Junkies

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by audi.rs4 View Post
    The high number of 800x600 are likely people who upon interested setup and survey timing, just didn't have the video drivers properly setup.
    VM like virtualbox or kvm without 3d drivers

Comment

Originally posted by andre30correia View Post

VM like virtualbox or kvm without 3d drivers
      Agreed.

Comment

the good thing is: the world uses desktop linux all over the world, the 1% joke is nomore. With Arch and manjaro, Linux mint, Fedora, Opensuse and ubuntu falouvers we have hundrands of milions using a linux distribuition, maybe it's time to the various distros make a basic ground and work together to improve this, Read Hat Canonical Suse and the linux community need to put more pre install pc/laptop in market with their distros. I install a tons of distros linux in my customusers pc/laptop

Comment

Originally posted by red23 View Post

Thats uttler BS. I have 15.6 GiB or RAM and currently I have only 5.6 GiB in use and no swap at all. I am on Kubuntu 18.04 have Firefox with 12 tabs open and the Atom texteditor that is essentially another complex browser (Chromium) and more. Then I have a virtualbox VM with jet another full Ubuntu 16.04 server OS running with Vagrant for web dev local testing in the background! So to claim you can that you can only do single tasking with 4gigs of RAM is just ridiculous. Firefox Quantum can have plenty more tabs open without eating up much resources I never tested it but read about how crazy the improvements where you can have hundreds of tabs open. I could do what I do with 4 GB I would probably not even notice it when a little bit would be put into swap that is on SSD.

Considering the average user with 4GB is probably not doing what I do and just have a Browser, Libre Office or something open 4 GB is still perfectly fine for many of those people. And hell yeah they can multi task. When it goes lower then 4GB there is always LXDE and others. Its really only gets problematic when there is really not enough RAM and no SSD for fast Swap.
          Strange. First you say that you're using 5.6 GiB and then you go on to say that you can do what you do with 4 GiB...

Comment

Originally posted by andre30correia View Post
            the good thing is: the world uses desktop linux all over the world, the 1% joke is nomore.
            1.68%, even ChromeOS goes above 1% nowdays

http://gs.statcounter.com/os-market-...ktop/worldwide

Desktop Linux isn't used near equally all over the world, but that percentage per countries also very vary... and i mean it very vary

Windows vary just in XY percentage per country worldwide, while Linux really vary so much - even more than 10 fold. Somewhere could be above 6% while somewhere bellow 0.5%

Here is good example for you, two EU countries with similar amount of people, Greece vs Portugal - about 10 million both:

http://gs.statcounter.com/os-market-...desktop/greece
            http://gs.statcounter.com/os-market-...sktop/portugal

6.41% vs 0.99% See, 6+ times difference for Linux 4.5 times difference for OSX... but that nowhere happens with Windows
            Last edited by dungeon; 20 October 2018, 12:05 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Weasel View Post
              4GB is more than enough for casual users.

"Just few browser tabs", seriously why do people have this idea that tabs are there to be open permanently, a million tabs at a time? Guys, it's okay to close the fucking browser as soon as you're done browsing a site and want to do other stuff.

Heck, I close the browser very very often and especially before logging in to something sensitive for security reasons, just in case something I browsed before hijacked it via some unknown vulnerability. Of course, I also clean the sandbox the browser lives in, at the same time.

If you have sites you come to over and over, there's an ancient thing we have called Bookmarks that works very well and you can even organize them the way you want them.
              I guess that could work if you have the luxury of only having one thing to work on concurrently.

Comment

Originally posted by dungeon View Post
                Well, that is not really true globally as Debian see slight raise of x86 32bit usage because else started kind of to drops it
                What? I think you misunderstood my point.

I said that there's less 4k display users than non x86-64 arch users. In Debian, that would be even more true assuming you are right, since it would increase the non x86-64 users but I doubt the 4k display users would also increase.

Comment

wrt to the 4GB .... maybe it's just a lot of people running Ubuntu in VM's

Comment

Originally posted by sheldonl View Post
                    wrt to the 4GB .... maybe it's just a lot of people running Ubuntu in VM's
                    yes, somewhere between 20-60% of the people who allowed their data to be collected in fact as I laid out...

Comment

Working...
                    X