Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Fedora 29 Is Blocked From Release Due To 11 Open Bugs

Phoronix: Fedora 29 Is Blocked From Release Due To 11 Open Bugs

Fedora 29 will not be managing to deliver its final release right on time due to lingering blocker bugs...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

There are three nasty bugs related to Xfce4 with Fedora 29

1) When logging into the xfce4 session via lightdm, xfce4 starts flickering, goes into console mode, back to x mode, back to console mode etc. I can't exaclty explain what causes this but on bugzilla I was told that this is related to the new dbus broker. I didn't paid more attention because I was told that Fedora 29 is not out yet and that errors are still being worked on.

2) Composite issues with xfce4. This is really nasty because of composite issues, artifacts, window manager blinking issues etc. Same as above. I was told...

3) Disappearing mouse pointer or artifacts mouse pointer. This is quite new and appeared around 1 week ago or so. I have to remove all font cache and some config related caches to have the mouse appear at least once. It's really problematic if you don't see any mouse pointer on your X desktop. I often need to blindly "guess" where to click to get at least a terminal open, to clean up cache.

But the falling back issue from X to console, back to X then to console etc. is really annoying. Even today I spent nearly 1 hour to get one clean login.

So you really want to deliver this ?

Well I wanted to work with the Xfce4 maintainers in Fedora. But since I was told that everything is still yet not done (some weeks ago) I ended up keeping my mouth shut.

I have never seen Xfce4 in such a bad shape within Fedora and I've been using Xfce4 for years.

Comment

Originally posted by Candy View Post
      There are three nasty bugs related to Xfce4 with Fedora 29

... I was told that this is related to the new dbus broker. ...
      dbus-broker is not enabled by default in F29, so this is unlikely to be reason. It was postponed to F30.

Comment

Originally posted by zbyszek View Post
        dbus-broker is not enabled by default in F29, so this is unlikely to be reason. It was postponed to F30.
        Thanks for clarification. I wasn't paying much attention to the devel list for quite some time. So I haven't caught up. Still. Xfce4 as it is right now is not in a shape for release.

Comment

Interesting - my beta box just pulled down an update that marked the repos as fedora-release, it must have been a late block

Comment

Originally posted by Candy View Post
            Thanks for clarification. I wasn't paying much attention to the devel list for quite some time. So I haven't caught up. Still. Xfce4 as it is right now is not in a shape for release.
            Xfce is not a release blocking desktop environment except for ARM

It would still be useful to file bug reports and work with the Xfce team to get fixes out as updates

Comment

Fedora wont fix up all the bugs before its released, they never do, however those Bugs will be fixed in updates

Comment

Does Ubuntu's Yaru theme and Suru icons integrate glitch free with Fedora 29?

Comment

Originally posted by hax0r View Post
                  Does Ubuntu's Yaru theme and Suru icons integrate glitch free with Fedora 29?
                  I don't know if anyone has packaged Yaru and Suru for Fedora yet. But I would imagine if someone did, it'd work pretty well.

Comment

All you need is meson and ninja. Shouldn't be that hard to build it for Fedora: https://github.com/ubuntu/yaru

Comment

Working...
                    X