Ubuntu 18.10 Is A Nice Upgrade For Radeon Gamers, Especially For Steam VR

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ubuntu 18.10 Is A Nice Upgrade For Radeon Gamers, Especially For Steam VR

Phoronix: Ubuntu 18.10 Is A Nice Upgrade For Radeon Gamers, Especially For Steam VR

Among the changes to find in Ubuntu 18.10 are the latest stable Linux kernel as well as a significant Mesa upgrade and also the latest X.Org Server. These component upgrades make for a better Linux gaming experience particularly if using a modern AMD Radeon graphics card. Here are some results as well as whether it's worthwhile switching to Linux 4.19 and Mesa 18.3-dev currently on Ubuntu 18.10.

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

Originally posted by tichun
    I can imagine people wanting to care about their system once 5 years or more. These 6 month releases would be awesome as point releases that update drivers (what if new hardware becomes popular but isn't supported? 6 months is still a long time). Well, that is if a distro wants to become reliable and suitable for mainstream usage.
    What?

Comment

I can imagine people wanting to care about their system once 5 years or more. These 6 month releases would be awesome as point releases that update drivers (what if new hardware becomes popular but isn't supported? 6 months is still a long time). Well, that is if a distro wants to become reliable and suitable for mainstream usage.
      You should probably read the following page. In short, what you are proposing already exists.

Comment

Brisse, I know of that, but it is somewhat handicapped. No mesa, right? I can imagine it being right for nvidia users, but not for amd. And then, it has to be manually enabled and stuff. I would like to see a hassle-free operating system in the distrospace. No, arch is not the solution, but one can argue it is better than ubuntu, yet most people chose ubuntu, and it is so well supported that it valuable, go check some app, like upwork, or vk or idk, most software that releases for linux, it claims it supports ubuntu lts.
        This should (could) be SteamOS (one day), no?

Comment

The best thing is a rolling release distro like Arch, which always ships latest stable version. I don't even use git master mesa anymore.
          ## VGA ##
          AMD: X1950XTX, HD3870, HD5870
          Intel: GMA45, HD3000 (Core i5 2500K)

Comment

The problem with your proposal is that most desktop linux components don't implement stable ABI's. Most open source projects have chosen to implement a rolling release version control system. The only possible way to keep a linux desktop up to date is to keep userspace packages at or near the latest release. You can't simply mix and match old userspace tools with new drivers or whatever, it won't work. I don't care at all what people think, I believe LTS disto's need to adopt a rolling release cycle. It's the only possible way to accomplish what you just asked for.

Comment

Well.. one Linus' rant comes to mind..https://lkml.org/lkml/2018/8/3/621
              Good old Linus, there are many developers who are just that - very stupid pusherers and utter morons

Believe it or not but reality is that companies even likes to employ blindminded pusherers as kinda developers , companies also likes userbase to be even pure trolls as these serve them the best as nothing hurts them with having these, these are easy to ignore and just to continue with push push push As more stupid the userbase is, that would allow them to have more fun with breaking things around.

They are the same, trolls and morons under harassment free for everybody CoC
              Last edited by dungeon; 18 October 2018, 11:03 AM.

Comment

FireBurn, Ubuntu LTS has to be updated to another version every ~3years, not 5.
                Starting with Ubuntu 12.04 LTS, both versions received five years support..

Comment

What is your post then? And what does it have in common with keeping drivers up to date in an LTS instead of making a new release that most people won't bother installing?
                  Well, keeping drivers up to date without upgrading kernel is fundamental problem in linux as kernels comes with drivers. Approach which is best for development (if and only if developers are developers!), but not so much for the users because some developers are not real developers . And to quote Linus from there

Because the only thing that matters IS THE USER. How hard is that to understand?
                  Many does not understand what he is talking about there, as they were employed as pusherers and not to always care about users As such, pusherers targeted userbase must be just trolls and they like them very much.

Also new drivers stacks needs testing as upstream developers pushing things without enough testing and so on As upstream releases are mainly time driven releases and as such not considered stable enough for LTS, 3 months after that enough testing done after Ubuntu 18.10 release you will get that enough tested stack in Ubuntu 18.04.x

Believe it or not, but users must do that testing So better "try it now, to not cry tomorrow" is traditional technology
                  Last edited by dungeon; 18 October 2018, 12:36 PM.

Comment

@dubt229, are you saying that upgrading drivers (mesa and kernel, and maybe xorg) is not going to work with the rest of a system? Are you serious? People do so, but use PPA or compile things themselves, the problem is that most distros don't. If what you are saying is the case, then the OS is simply rubbish. Well.. one Linus' rant comes to mind..https://lkml.org/lkml/2018/8/3/621
                    You're wrong about this for sure. The -only- reason -Ubuntu- needs PPA's is -BECAUSE- it's not a rolling release distro. -Ubuntu- does it wrong. Check out Arch or Gentoo and you'll realize they were always right in their decision to go rolling release.

EDIT: You could call Ubuntu rubbish by your metric, but that's very worst you could say and still be true.
                    Last edited by duby229; 18 October 2018, 11:48 AM.

Comment

Working...
                    X