Ubuntu 18.10 Set For Release Today With Some Nice Improvements

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by skeevy420 View Post

And suggest you use his "distribution" that's Debian with some Ubuntu PPA's and the AMD staging kernel with Graysky's GCC patches applied....with very minimal documentation (YouTube walls of text and audio-free YouTube videos), no patches or sources on git, no license compliance, no changelogs, no website....yeah, we're gonna get right on that....
    Let's not forget the mandatory 1,000Hz kernel and wicd

Comment

Originally posted by bug77 View Post
      Idk know about plain Ubuntu, but when doing my traditional upgrade to the RC, Kubuntu 18.04 informed me it can't upgrade because I'm not running a supported version. Wth?
      Maybe you are running i386 ?
      Upgrade to 18.10 are deactivated for i386.

[Source:] https://wiki.ubuntu.com/CosmicCuttle...grades_on_i386

Comment

Additionally, the plans for better Android phone integration with the Ubuntu 18.10 desktop by means of bundling GS Connect also didn't happen as planned for the Ubuntu 18.10 cycle.
        Fear not, KDE and Kubuntu have you covered :-)

Comment

Originally posted by skeevy420 View Post

And suggest you use his "distribution" that's Debian with some Ubuntu PPA's and the AMD staging kernel with Graysky's GCC patches applied....with very minimal documentation (YouTube walls of text and audio-free YouTube videos), no patches or sources on git, no license compliance, no changelogs, no website....yeah, we're gonna get right on that....
          Well i think this way, here Canonical presents to users what they think is the current best AMDGPU driver graphic stack, on the other hand we have AMDGPU-PRO as what AMD thinks is the other best driver stack solution.

So, either these both companies are morons if they can't ship any quality drivers or debianxfce is a troll, it can't be anything else
          Last edited by dungeon; 18 October 2018, 07:34 AM.

Comment

I really like the changes to KDE in this release.

Comment

Originally posted by dungeon View Post

Well i think this way, here Canonical presents to users what they think is the current best AMDGPU driver graphic stack, on the other hand we have AMDGPU-PRO as what AMD thinks is the other best driver stack solution.
              I've thought the "All-Open Stack" in AMDGPU-PRO is essentially a snaphot of the AMDGPU stack. Wrong?

FWIW, the only time I installed AMDGPU-PRO on Ubuntu it broke at the first kernel update.

Comment

Originally posted by buzzrobot View Post

FWIW, the only time I installed AMDGPU-PRO on Ubuntu it broke at the first kernel update.
                Hm, if that breaks on distro kernel update i guess these companies are indeed morons if they can't keep things in sync.

Originally posted by debianxfce View Post

What you and dungeon have done to make Linux easier to use except trolling and writing shit?
                Dungeon is an animal with IQ 130, you can't understand that If you are humble human or adorable animal, you could very easely understand me... otherwise there is just no way, particulary not in harassment-free way But i won't make that happy harass now, as i know you like that

I asked you some questions there, but without brain it is hard to answer isn't it?
                Last edited by dungeon; 18 October 2018, 10:16 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by theghost View Post

Maybe you are running i386 ?
                  Upgrade to 18.10 are deactivated for i386.

[Source:] https://wiki.ubuntu.com/CosmicCuttle...grades_on_i386
                  I do have 386 enabled (required for something like Skype or TeamViewer), but the distro is as x86_64 as it gets. Time to look back to see whether I still need 386, because TeamViewer doesn't work since 18.04 anyway and Skype got such a great upgrade that you're better off using the web version.

Comment

Originally posted by debianxfce View Post
                    What you and dungeon have done to make Linux easier to use except trolling and writing shit?
                    I used to compile Android roms for other people, helped people on Manjaro forums, helped people on Arch forums, I've offered some help here...I just don't agree that what you do constitutes being called a distribution since it's mainly a wall of text on YouTube and you don't document everything you do, you don't host a repository, and you advocate cross-os package installations which can be very dangerous for non-power users.

I can take Antergos and do all the same tweaks you did. The difference is I'd host all my changes on github and try to be as license compliant as possible...like providing my kernel sources and not saying -- I'm using what Debian uses with this Ryzen patch with all these tweaks you also need to do:

Code:
                    Use the command: make xconfig and check that you have enabled: Reroute Broken IRQ, Amd IOMMU, Virtualization KVM and 1000Hz CPU timer. I also disabled Swap, Kernel Debug, CPU Freq scaling , Cpu handling in Acpi, Used Bios to control CPU and devices. In the drivers/graphics/amdgpu enable cik support for a gcn 1.1 gpu and si support for a gcn 1.0 gpu.
                    All of that can be added to a kernel patch that can be hosted somewhere or you could compile it yourself and find somewhere to host it.

I'm currently working on getting Funtoo up and running with InBetweenName's gentooLTO repository added and some cflags Solus uses from Clear (it's all in a very horrible script right now). If you like I can put that on hold and show you how to do your own OS right with an Antergos base. It would take me about two weeks to a month to do it correctly...probably less, but I have to account for random life events...

Also, telling users "enable cik support" without adding put "amdgpu.cik_support=1 radeon.cik_support=0 modprobe.blacklist=radeon" on the kernel command line without how-to instructions or why those options are needed aren't very good instructions.

Something like "Add those flags to "/etc/grub/default" on the line GRUB_CMDLINE_LINUX_DEFAULT="". Mine looks like GRUB_CMDLINE_LINUX_DEFAULT="quiet amdgpu.cik_support=1 amdgpu.powerplay=1 amdgpu.dc=0 radeon.cik_support=0 modprobe.blacklist=radeon modprobe.blacklist=dell_smbios elevator=noop" for an example. Those are needed because yada, yada, yada...".

From you in your YouTube comments: You poor Brazilian who give thumbs down to all of my videos, it is not my fault that you are poor and have bad feeling all the time.

And you call me a troll?

Also, technically, if you're distributing an iso with a modified Linux kernel, and you are, you have to provide the kernel sources. Saying use this patch and do these tweaks does not count. You can technically get popped with a GPL violation for not doing so. If you linked to the Debian kernel sources you used and to a patch that cleanly applies to it with all your changes, that would be acceptable. I'm mentioning the licnese stuff not to be an ass but to help you out and keep you from getting in trouble.

Comment

Originally posted by bug77 View Post

I do have 386 enabled (required for something like Skype or TeamViewer), but the distro is as x86_64 as it gets. Time to look back to see whether I still need 386, because TeamViewer doesn't work since 18.04 anyway and Skype got such a great upgrade that you're better off using the web version.
                      Have you checked this: https://help.ubuntu.com/community/Co...grades/Kubuntu
                      Seems like upgrading to Non-LTS from LTS is prohibited by default.

Comment

Working...
                      X