Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ubuntu 18.10 Set For Release Today With Some Nice Improvements

Phoronix: Ubuntu 18.10 Set For Release Today With Some Nice Improvements

It's Cosmic Cuttlefish day! Assuming no last minute delays, Ubuntu 18.10 and its downstream flavors will be out today with their newest six-month non-LTS releases to be supported through July of 2019...

Phoronix, Linux Hardware Reviews, Linux hardware benchmarks, Linux server benchmarks, Linux benchmarking, Desktop Linux, Linux performance, Open Source graphics, Linux How To, Ubuntu benchmarks, Ubuntu hardware, Phoronix Test Suite

I guess you should present this in FullHD since vast majority of users won't see here what they get

Even on steam 4K resulting in slight falldown last month, with just 1.32% of people uses that and out of steam it is even less

Ubuntu 18.10 is defaulting to the X.Org Server based session...
    See, even with this Ubuntu prefer to target reality and not just utter development - it was once marketized as Linux For Human Beings

These non-LTS Ubuntu releases are less for testing than Debian Testing
    Last edited by dungeon; 18 October 2018, 02:48 AM.

Comment

The only thing I'm wondering is if Gnomes animations still stutters with nvidia graphics on Xorg?

My secondary desktop runs Ubuntu 18.04 but gnome stutters pretty badly on my 750ti so I had to change DE.

Comment

Seems like they realized only a small part of their plans for 18.10

https://blog.ubuntu.com/2018/05/18/d...lans-for-18-10

Anyway, after using the new theme a while I really like it.

Edit: Seems I was wrong. Release-Notes reads differently: https://wiki.ubuntu.com/CosmicCuttle...tures_in_18.10
        Last edited by theghost; 18 October 2018, 03:44 AM. Reason: Update

Comment

Idk know about plain Ubuntu, but when doing my traditional upgrade to the RC, Kubuntu 18.04 informed me it can't upgrade because I'm not running a supported version. Wth?

Comment

18.10 keeps the fans on my Vega 64 card spinning all the time, with the stock kernel or any 4.18/4.19 mainline kernel. They should be off below 60C. Fedora 29 handles this correctly. The fans spin up quite audibly during the boot, then just as obviously go silent.

Both 18.10 and Fedora 29 do not resume correctly from sleeping the system or sleeping only the display. The screen remains black, the mouse and keyboard are unresponsive and a reboot is required. In fact, I see this on any distribution I've tried, live or installed, that uses a 4.18/4.19 kernel. I imagine this is an episode in the long running Linux power management soap opera.

Yaru doesn't suit me, but I don't like orange and always resign myself to Adwaita. (Gnome could buy itself a bit of user goodwill if it found a way to implement one or two more variations on Adwaita besides dark mode.)

Comment

Originally posted by debianxfce View Post

Mainline kernels and mesa are partially implemented. See the diff column at kernel.org and compare to the AMD drm-next-4.21-wip kernel. Use Oibaf ppa Mesa. More better, use Debian testing/sid Xfce too. My distribution has these. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fKJ-IatUfis
              Should have written "stock distro kernel" instead of "stock kernel". Problem with fans also did not happen with earlier 4.18 kernels on Ubuntu and elsewhere.

Not prepared to jump to Oibaf and drm-next kernels. I've gone that route before and found it unsustainable for a system I want to be usable all the time without hassle. And they are part of the Ubuntu landscape and, in general, I'd rather stay in Fedora land. XFCE is fine but I'm not fond of XFWM.

Comment

Never complain on these forums because debianxfce will always warn you not to use what you use

Originally posted by debianxfce View Post
                Mainline kernels and mesa are partially implemented.
                So how do you explain that some people have driver bugs even on Windows, but there is no linux kernels nor mesa involved there?

See the diff column at kernel.org and compare to the AMD drm-next-4.21-wip kernel.
                How about Ubuntu to be shiped without AMD drivers, so that everybody uses AMDGPU-PRO from AMD site? What do you think about it, will this produce less bugs counter?
                Last edited by dungeon; 18 October 2018, 06:44 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by johanb View Post
                  The only thing I'm wondering is if Gnomes animations still stutters with nvidia graphics on Xorg?

My secondary desktop runs Ubuntu 18.04 but gnome stutters pretty badly on my 750ti so I had to change DE.
                  Happens to me too.

Unity didn't have this problem.

Comment

Originally posted by dungeon View Post
                    Never complain on these forums because debianxfce will always warn you not to use what you use
                    And suggest you use his "distribution" that's Debian with some Ubuntu PPA's and the AMD staging kernel with Graysky's GCC patches applied....with very minimal documentation (YouTube walls of text and audio-free YouTube videos), no patches or sources on git, no license compliance, no changelogs, no website....yeah, we're gonna get right on that....

Comment

Working...
                    X