Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

OpenSUSE Begins Preparing For Leap 15.1 (15 Service Pack 1)

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • OpenSUSE Begins Preparing For Leap 15.1 (15 Service Pack 1)

    Phoronix: OpenSUSE Begins Preparing For Leap 15.1 (15 Service Pack 1)

    As part of some brief openSUSE news today, some early details concerning Leap 15 Service Pack 1 (Leap 15.1) were shared...

    http://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?pag...1-SP1-Approach

  • #2
    Tumbleweed is pretty stable in my opinion.
    ​​​​​​

    Comment


    • #3
      I was thinking the other day about the name of this distribution. If OpenSuse is now the free version of Suse Linux Enterprise, isn't the "Open" in OpenSuse now redundant? I know it's a silly question but OpenSuse isn't really the most marketable of names...

      The main product line could be changed to Suse Linux Enterprise (Desktop, Server, etc.), Suse Linux Leap, and Suse Linux Tumbleweed.
      Last edited by CTown; 10-17-2018, 08:46 PM.

      Comment


      • #4
        Originally posted by CTown View Post
        I was thinking the other day about the name of this distribution. If OpenSuse is now the free version of Suse Linux Enterprise, isn't the "Open" in OpenSuse now redundant? I know it's a silly question but OpenSuse isn't really the most marketable of names...

        The main product line could be changed to Suse Linux Enterprise (Desktop, Server, etc.), Suse Linux Leap, and Suse Linux Tumbleweed.
        Rebranding is always a total pain. At least with the old name there's tons of history you can look up if you're confused

        Comment


        • #5
          Originally posted by nanonyme View Post

          Rebranding is always a total pain. At least with the old name there's tons of history you can look up if you're confused
          And they are not the greatest at doing it. they got all excited about calling the first alignment release as opensuse 42 - they thought the Hitchhiker Guide to the Galaxy " Answer to the Ultimate Question of Life, the Universe, and Everything is 42" was the greatest idea, then after a couple of point releases, they got sensible and decided to keep the version numbers in line with each other so they then had to do a great spin to rename as opensuse 15.

          Comment


          • #6
            Originally posted by CTown View Post
            I was thinking the other day about the name of this distribution. If OpenSuse is now the free version of Suse Linux Enterprise, isn't the "Open" in OpenSuse now redundant? I know it's a silly question but OpenSuse isn't really the most marketable of names...

            The main product line could be changed to Suse Linux Enterprise (Desktop, Server, etc.), Suse Linux Leap, and Suse Linux Tumbleweed.
            Open in this case refers to it being made by a community, and not that it's free. OpenSuse isn't made by the same people who make Suse Linux Enterprise.

            Comment


            • #7
              Originally posted by rtfazeberdee View Post

              And they are not the greatest at doing it. they got all excited about calling the first alignment release as opensuse 42 - they thought the Hitchhiker Guide to the Galaxy " Answer to the Ultimate Question of Life, the Universe, and Everything is 42" was the greatest idea, then after a couple of point releases, they got sensible and decided to keep the version numbers in line with each other so they then had to do a great spin to rename as opensuse 15.
              I think they wanted to align the name from the beginning but at that time SuSE Enterprise was at version 13 and openSUSE already had a version 13 so they chose that arbitrary interim version.

              Comment


              • #8
                Originally posted by thxcv View Post

                I think they wanted to align the name from the beginning but at that time SuSE Enterprise was at version 13 and openSUSE already had a version 13 so they chose that arbitrary interim version.
                SLE was at 12, and OpenSUSE was at 13, so they made Leap 42 based on SLE 12. But then SLE decided to skip 13 and 14, directly to SLE 15. In hindsight, Leap 42 should have been Leap 14.

                Comment


                • #9
                  Originally posted by LinAGKar View Post

                  SLE was at 12, and OpenSUSE was at 13, so they made Leap 42 based on SLE 12. But then SLE decided to skip 13 and 14, directly to SLE 15. In hindsight, Leap 42 should have been Leap 14.
                  Oh, right it was SLE12.. They could have done version 14... maybe they wanted to make that interim state clearer because at that time leap and sle were not really aligned yet and 14 (42) was not really the successor of openSUSE 13.2... Anyways i think that it was always the plan to align the version numbers but how it was done was a bit odd.
                  Last edited by thxcv; 10-18-2018, 07:51 AM.

                  Comment

                  Working...
                  X