No announcement yet.

Elementary OS 5.0 "Juno" Released For A Pleasant Linux Desktop Experience

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

It seems most of you people have a conservative mind. When I look at the changes elementary introduces, I simply be like "damn, they really think of all the details, woah". Elementary strikes me as a better GNOME, not at all as a Windows/MacOS wannabe.

Comment

I for one think that Linux definitely needs a good macOS clone but Elementary sadly isn't it. Neither is Gnome for all the comparisons (presumably from people who've never actually used macOS).

Originally posted by Danielsan View Post
      As matter of fact the guys behind Elementary are really talented, they should put a part this non-sense of their appstore and continuing to build up their reputation as OS UI/UX designer so eventually they will be able to get a good job and getting the money they deserve.
      There are some flaws in this logic. If the goal is to "get a good job", how are they supposed to continue working on the OS if they are busy with a day job making money?
      Last edited by Guest; 17 October 2018, 10:28 AM.

Comment

I really want to like Elementary, their UI is great... but after their "We want users to understand that they’re pretty much cheating the system when they choose not to pay for software" comment a few years ago, I've been really turned off to them.

https://liliputing.com/2015/02/eleme...-software.html

Comment

Originally posted by Weasel View Post
          At least it's better than GNOME.
          I'm not anti-GNOME, but also not a fan (I'm not even going to use it anywhere anymore, I've kept trying it every once in a while until 3.28, but I can't use it for my workflow), but I disagree that the usability is worse than on Windows. Windows is very, very confusing to navigate and configure. GNOME at least makes it quite easy to configure and because of that, navigation is also better. But ONLY better than Windows, for sure NOT better than KDE Plasma, TDE, Budgie, etc.

Comment

Originally posted by msotirov View Post
            I for one think that Linux definitely needs a good macOS clone but Elementary sadly isn't it. Neither is Gnome for all the comparisons (presumably from people who've never actually used macOS).

There are some flaws in this logic. If the goal is to "get a good job", how are they supposed to continue working on the OS if they are busy with a day job making money?
            I don't see any flaws, open source projects can survive to their creators...

Comment

I don't see any flaws, open source projects can survive to their creators...
              Do you really not see the connection between developers being too busy on their day job and their FOSS project getting neglected? What about all the understaffed projects like Gimp, Inkscape and Kdenlive barely limping along with 1 or 2 active developers? Even worse, what about all the abandoned projects out there?

Comment

Originally posted by msotirov View Post
                Do you really not see the connection between developers being too busy on their day job and their FOSS project getting neglected? What about all the understaffed projects like Gimp, Inkscape and Kdenlive barely limping along with 1 or 2 active developers? Even worse, what about all the abandoned projects out there?
                Probably because you see Elementary as a finished product while I see it just as a beginning. From my point of view it is more like an exercise of style than a long lasting project, it is too ambitious and it is pursuing a faint path.
                Last edited by Danielsan; 17 October 2018, 05:22 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Vistaus View Post
                  I'm not anti-GNOME, but also not a fan (I'm not even going to use it anywhere anymore, I've kept trying it every once in a while until 3.28, but I can't use it for my workflow), but I disagree that the usability is worse than on Windows. Windows is very, very confusing to navigate and configure. GNOME at least makes it quite easy to configure and because of that, navigation is also better. But ONLY better than Windows, for sure NOT better than KDE Plasma, TDE, Budgie, etc.
                  Wait, you can configure GNOME?

They need to take it out asap, it's not true to their minimalism and enforced "brand vision".

Quick, report it as a bug.

Comment

Probably because you see Elementary as a finished product while I see it just as a beginning. From my point of view it is more like an exercise of style than a long lasting project, it is too ambitious and it is pursuing a faint path.
                    It was first released in 2011, but yeah, let's call it "a beginning"... In that case, KDE Neon is also "a beginning" and Plasma 5 and GNOME 3 as well.

Comment

Originally posted by Vistaus View Post
                      It was first released in 2011, but yeah, let's call it "a beginning"... In that case, KDE Neon is also "a beginning" and Plasma 5 and GNOME 3 as well.
                      So far I remember Pantheon started around 2013 and Elementary as project is quite sluggish, and you can't compare it with Gnome and KDE that are more than 20 years on their shoulders...

Comment

Working...
                      X